"This Is Your Jury Summons"  

Posted by Stan Harrington

Recently, I was once again selected for jury duty for the month of April. Not quite the same as being notified that you have won the lottery. I surely do not mind being summoned to jury duty, in fact I have been one of the chosen few each year for the past several years. Again, I really do not mind since I feel it is one of many obligations that you fulfill as a citizen.

However, at times I have to wonder about the organization of our court system and how far in advance the court cases requiring a jury are scheduled. On Friday, following the phone in instructions, the message said to call back on Monday. Now how many judges are going to be working on Saturday and Sunday to hear a case on Tuesday. However, I followed my instructions and called back on Monday after 4:30 p.m. only to be told to call back on Tuesday after 4:30 p.m. Surely, they know a few days in advance when they are going to need to see the jurists and select a few to find the accused guilty. Yes, I always assume the accused is "guilty" or they would not be in court. Perhaps, that is the reason I have never been selected to serve on a jury.

However, I think I have found the problem in our court system. I always thought the jurists were selected from the pool of registered voters and or property owners. Our jurists are selected on the basis of those that received the Alaska Permanent Fund. I wonder how many illegal PFD recipients are selected each year for jury duty? One of the requirements to sit on the jury that has my concern is, "You don't need special experience, training, or education". I would like to think that if I am the one that is standing in front of the court and going to be judged by my peers, I want them educated!

A complete paragraph on the form goes into a lengthy explanation as to whether serving on jury duty is a right or a responsibility. In a nutshell, "Jury service is a basic right of every citizen". But, it is also a responsibility "that can only be fulfilled if you return the questionnaire and appear on the day of your service". I am proud to say that I fulfilled both my obligations.

Every considered throwing your jury summons in the trash, after all, it is not sent to you as registered mail, there is no way for the court system to prove that you even got your summons. They, the court system, assumes that you are guilty before you are given a fair trial by a jury of your peers. If you do not return your summons, which they have no proof that you received it, the following actions will take place. "The Permanent Fund Dividend Program may be notified if the questionnaire is not returned." "Additionally, you could be required to appear before the judge and explain your absence and possibly be ordered to pay a fine if you do not come to court when called."

If that were to happen to me, I would request a trail by jury and then defend myself. Other than the accused, the "jury" is the most important segment of a jury trail. If a person has to be educated in law and pass a state bar examination to practice law in order to represent their clients, why isn't there a educational requirement for jurists? I will take my chances, defend myself in front of a box of uneducated jurists and then the playing field is even.

I had better call in and see if I have jury duty tomorrow.



Nothing to do with the above posting, but did receive this picture on Tuesday of "Harley" down in Florida. He is now nine weeks old. Isn't he a great looking dog. I want a "Little Dutch"

This entry was posted on April 15, 2008 at Tuesday, April 15, 2008 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

4 comments

I know first hand the sting of getting my hands slapped by the court system regarding jury duty.
After going to court and standing before the judge (a visiting one) I was cleared of all charges. He was so angry at the court clerk and the Homer system for being so disorganized BUT not as much as I was. They even had my current address and phone number so they could have mailed a reminder letter or placed a call if they thought I needed to return to jury duty, but no a warrant was issued instead!
SO I highly suggest you call in and also get a receipt when you are told your services aren't needed that should make them really happy!

4/16/08, 6:10 AM

"I would like to reinstate hanging as a punishment", would be sufficient to get you out....

4/16/08, 6:21 AM

Someday I want to sit on a jury...but one that I wont feel guilt for locking someone sway!

4/16/08, 7:01 AM

Take the jury duty....blab out in court that the defendent may or may not be guilty, the evidence is not convincing...do this when the judge asks the jury if they have any questions...oh by the way that is NOT a question your suppose to answer. They will fine you and throw you from jury duty for life if you are contempt of court and do not even realize it...but no more jury duty. They consider me uneducated...hehe...so works for me.

4/16/08, 9:15 AM

Post a Comment