Friggatiskaidekaphobia  

Posted by Stan Harrington

If you suffer from Friggatiskaidekaphobia or Paraskavedekatriaphobia, you cannot expect to have a very good day!

If Friday the 13th is unlucky, we can expect that the year of 2009 will be an unlucky year! Last month, we saw February 13th fall on a Friday. Today is Friday, March 13th and we can expect to see a third Friday the 13th in November 2009. Having the 13th of the month fall on a Friday three times in one year occurs only once every eleven years.

Fear of Friday the 13th is called Paraskavedekatriaphobia as well as Friggatiskaidekaphobia, however, if you have the fear of the number 13, then you suffer from Triskaidekaphobia. If you suffer from all three, I really feel sorry for you.

In fear of this day, many hospitals do not have a room 13, while some tall buildings will skip the 13th floor, and some airline terminals will omit Gate 13.

President Franklin D. Roosevelt would not travel on the 13th day of any month and would never host thirteen guests at a dinner.

There is also a popular belief that the reason the number 13 is unlucky is due to its position following the number 12. According to numerologists who consider the number 12 to be a complete number: there are 12 Months in a Year; 12 Signs of the Zodiac; 12 Gods of Olympus; 12 Labors of Hercules; 12 Tribes of Israel; 12 Apostles of Jesus; 12 Days of Christmas; and 12 Eggs in a dozen.

Since I do not suffer from Triskaidekaphobia, I have no problem stopping by the bakery and purchasing a Baker's Dozen of fresh, warm donuts. If I can then consume them before anybody catches me, then I consider myself lucky!

For those of you that work for a living, it might be a good day to take off from work. Just call your boss, supervisor, or anyone that cares and tell them that you will not be in for work today. Just tell them that due to your Triskaidekaphobia you are having an adverse reaction to your Paraskavedekatriaphobia and your Friggatiskaidekaphobia. By the time they figure it out, it will be Saturday the 14th and you will be enjoying a three day weekend. Who is going to argue with you?

This entry was posted on March 13, 2009 at Friday, March 13, 2009 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

9 comments

A baker's dozen cookies never bothered me, either. I walk under ladders, step on cracks, have broken many mirrors, but I'll be a fool if I go to work tomorrow - friday the 13th!

3/13/09, 12:27 AM

You have obviously done some research.

3/13/09, 7:27 AM

Funny you blog this, just shows a parent knows all that a child is up too.
Today I wake up and you have stolen my post!

3/13/09, 9:30 AM

Heidi ~ I am sorry that I scooped you on Friday the 13th~ but, it is not like we did not know that it was going to occur. It has been planned for sometime, remember your 7 P's. Easter is coming up soon so you may want to start planning a blog for that.

3/13/09, 1:16 PM

Well, I know I will get St.Patrick's day!

3/13/09, 10:47 PM

I'm planning a post for Thanksgiving....
At least there were no glitches for me yesterday. Glad I stayed home from work!

3/14/09, 8:14 AM

On another note, a certain Lynx has possession of a laptop that my daughter is having withdrawals about. You know, that guy can fix ANYTHING if it is fixable.
Anyhoo....I'll see if he can cross your path before you head North. Tay will save you a box or two of cookies.

3/14/09, 8:17 AM

Better chance of saving cookies if we know that our order of donuts will be en route from Soldotna!....

3/14/09, 8:19 AM

lol...I love Friday the 13th...I won 600 on Nickle slots on this day several years ago...my lucky day...ask Eric how his Friday the 13th went...he got pretty lucky too...now St. Pattys day...I always end up bruised...think i will stay in bed that day...

3/15/09, 10:16 AM

Post a Comment