"The Golden Years"  

Posted by Stan Harrington

Since my retirement, I am often asked what do you do to stay busy?
In my Golden Years, I would enjoy wandering the rivers from spring
through the late fall in pursuit of a salmon or trout.
There is nothing better than a good morning on the river, sometimes it really does not matter if you catch a fish. Just enjoying the pristine beauty is reward enough.

However, in reality I also enjoy working. As part of my spring ritual, I sat down this evening and prepared my "Spring To Do List" with an appendix titled "Summer To Do List" and a sub-appendix titled "Before it Snows To Do List" The way, I have it figured I have 131 days to accomplish my seasonal goals.

"Spring To Do List"
Complete interior finish work on one cabin.
Complete exterior trim, steps, and deck railing on one cabin
Supervise same projects on second cabin.
Complete material list for two additional cabins.
Submit material list for bidding by suppliers
Finish drainage field excavation work
Build and install cofferdam for drainage pit.
Build and install "childproof" deck covering drainage pit.
Compete roofing on Recreation Hall
Compete interior of Recreation Hall
Build wooden deck / sidewalk to Recreation Room
Level and expand parking area.
Gravel surface parking area
Grade Bronco Lane
Re-gravel Gazebo area with p-gravel
Cut four cords of firewood
Build water tower deck
Spring maintenance tasks.
Order material for two new cabins.
Landscaping and flower planting at home.
Plant Flowers with my Granddaughter

"Summer To Do List"
Move two temporary dwellings
Excavate and level two building sites
Arrange to have building material delivered
Start construction on two cabins.
Cut three cords of firewood
Start construction of landscaping project
Plant landscaping project
Cut more firewood.
Complete construction on two cabins.

"Before It Snows To Do List"
Stow all equipment
Take down cooking tent
Stow excess building material
Cut "Spring Firewood"
Check oil on plow truck
Take a Break
Fish
Travel

Where did the summer go?

This entry was posted on March 22, 2009 at Sunday, March 22, 2009 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

8 comments

Don' spend that summer so fast!

3/23/09, 7:43 AM

Wow. Lots to do.

3/23/09, 9:25 AM

I will never, never take my morning cup of coffee for granted again, thanks to Mt. Redoubt for erupting and loss of electrical power for several hours. Thence forth, I will make a thermos of coffee before I retire for the night! The other sad news about the mountain blowing up, I have a birds eye view of the mountain from my windows, yet I have to watch pictures of the eruption on national news, even the local channels are staying programmed to their schedule, we surely cannot miss a 6,809th episode of "Days of Our Life" an god forbid that we miss "The View".

3/23/09, 10:32 AM

that list made me tired...think i will go to bed.

3/23/09, 9:01 PM

Who's that fishing?

3/23/09, 9:31 PM

That would be me on the Russian River. Isn't that a great picture?

3/24/09, 12:57 AM

I didn't see dismantle your folk's old cabin and transport the logs to your campground. I thought that was a great idea. When we were up there last and the owners let us walk around in it and our old place, Inoticed they weren't really using either place for storage. There was basically nothing in either structure. As you said, I'll bet if approached the right way they'd let you take the logs from the old place. Have you given up on the idea?

3/27/09, 8:03 AM

In regards to the "old house", have not given up on the concept, just have not developed it fully. Still contemplating.

3/28/09, 12:26 AM

Post a Comment