Snow Day  

Posted by Stan Harrington

Enjoying my morning news and coffee, mentally preparing myself to go plow our first measurable snowfall of the season. Just checked the weather bureau, it appears that those in the LA area are under an snow advisory until 2 p.m. today with accumulation up to six inches.

The same system moved through here last evening, according to my precipitation gauge, we have 6.3 inches of snow on the ground. The Doppler radar shows that the front has moved up the inlet with the southern edge currently in the Kenai area extending into the LA bowl area.

The great news is that the lower 48 is now enjoying the cold front that we put up with for the entire month of November. Denver was at 2 degrees this morning with a low of 34 in Las Vegas - today is the start of the National Rodeo final!

My snow plowing season has started off bad this season, took the old snow plow up to get a little petro so I would be prepared for today. Going across the Anchor River bridge, I heard a mini explosion, lots of smoke and my truck stopped in the middle of the bridge. Pulled a Ranger Bill, put one of those funny looking things that go up and down in your engine to make it go, well mine now goes sideways. I mean like this is beyond the duct tape repair job, so the old plow is down for a few weeks.

To be prepared for today, had to hustle around to get a replacement. Could not find a inexpensive 4WD pick-up to replace the old plow truck so I settled for a different body style and after a few modifications,the mechanic and welder devised a rig that I think will be sufficient for my use until I can get the hole patched in the engine of my good rig. With the price of gas going back up, the new rig will at least be a little more economical.



Time to go play in the snow, I am so excited - you know they do not get much snow in Mexico!

This entry was posted on December 1, 2006 at Friday, December 01, 2006 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

2 comments

Not enough duck tape. If you could just "blank" out the bad cylinder, you'd still have 7 good ones you could pull the URABUS out of the berm with.

12/2/06, 12:38 AM

I think this is actually on duty in Oklahoma somewhere. The plow operator normally only scrapes armadillos off the highway but when it snows, he makes a bit of overtime pushing the snow off the centerline into the travel lanes where he hopes traffic will do the rest.

12/9/06, 8:57 AM

Post a Comment