Quckie Meal Recipe  

Posted by Stan Harrington


After working many 18 to 20 hour days at the Anchor Angler during the past 20+ years, I developed strange eating habits, often grabbing a quick bite when I have the opportunity. It was during this time that I developed the Quickie Grilled Cheese Sandwich. All you need is two slices of bread and a slice or two of Velveeta cheese. Pop the bread into a toaster, while it is toasting to a golden brown, boil a cup of water in the microwave oven. The timing will almost be the same, remove the water from the microwave oven and pour that into an instant cup of soup. Take the two pieces of toast, between the slices of toast place the cheese, and pop them into the micro wave for one minute or less. By the time the the grilled cheese sandwich is completed and devoured, the cup of soup is ready to eat. Total elapse time is three minutes or less.

Very recently, within the past two weeks, I have developed a new recipe for "Hot Dogs". There is no better way to enjoy a hot dog than over an open fire, however, when you are in a hurry or in the middle of winter and you cannot get a fire started there is great way to enjoy a dog which takes very little time. You do not need to heat it in a pan or water or attempt to roast it in the oven. This method is fast and comes very close to a dog cooked over charcoal or an open fire.

I prefer the Johnsonville Brand of "Beef Brats", the ideal cooking time is one to one and a half minutes. Take the "brat" or "dog" and roll it up in a moistened paper towel. I have found that four to five wraps is almost ideal. You can also wrap two brats by rolling them up on each side of the paper towel. Set the microwave oven for 1.25 minutes and hit "start". By the time that you have your condiments on the bun, although I prefer white bread, the brats are cooked and ready to be relished. They are also very good if you take a can of chili and heat it first, cook your brats in the paper towel, about one minute. Place the brats on a bun, smother with chili topped with grated cheddar cheese and pop back into the microwave oven until the cheese is melted. Total meal time, less than three minutes.
Give me a microwave oven, a loaf of white bread and I will survive!

This entry was posted on February 16, 2007 at Friday, February 16, 2007 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

5 comments

It's 6am and now I am hungry for chilli brats...thanks! As for fire...well with a Key Fab..that little button you push to get in your car and a bottle of super glue...Josh found out..you can make fire...now keys in pocket and super glue out meant he glued the keys in...but who would of thought that the 2 would start burrning! hehe catch that kids crotch a smokin and he does move fast!

2/16/07, 6:39 AM

Now thats my kind of cooking...so do you also wait until your blood sugar is so low you can barely cook it? Hence the reason I am so NAPPY!
Hey your a LINKER I am so proud...but this one didn't work!! You forgot the "n" in "xyz.net".

2/16/07, 7:46 AM

Try cooking your "dogs" using this metod and you will be amazed, they are really good. About time someone noticed that I was "linkin" I am not a "linker" because I am a "free thinker". If you also noticed, I finally took the plunge and upgraded to the "new" blog! So much ezxcitement in my life, I need a nap! The next time I am lost and need an instant fire I will remember the key fab and super glue trick, I always carry those two items with me when I am in the bush and it would beat the hell out of rubbing to sticks together.

2/16/07, 9:53 AM

In the event you are "skimming", a new comment has been added to the posting of February 15th

2/16/07, 3:14 PM

I thought I was on Martha Stewarts blog for minute
there. How about my Goober sandwich for truckers
on the go and in a hurry. I don't like to mention
hot dog when Spike is nearby.

2/18/07, 12:59 PM

Post a Comment