Spring Is In the Air  

Posted by Stan Harrington

I was totally surprised in the fact that no one acknowledged the fact that we have just past a very significant day on our calendar. Although, I do have to admit that it is not recognized as a national holiday and really has no redeemable value whatsoever, especially when you rely on a furry little rodent to prognosticate the weather. How all of you missed Ground Hog Day without comment, I will never know.
This is the furry little rodent, Punxsutawney Phil, after sticking his head out of the hole of his den today. With his appearance, the professional prognosticators have determined that we will have a "early spring". Personally, I do believe we should not rely on some furball from predicting our future weather patterns. Although, we have witnessed the temperatures in Alaska in the mid 40 degree range over the past few days, it is still to early to consider that spring has sprung.

A lot of individuals utilize animals to predict weather. If you have ever witnessed a herd of horses, when a storm front moves in, they will always gather in a herd and point their butts in one direction. This is a very good indication of which way the wind is blowing. The Buffalo Clan also utilize their young off spring to predict weather, as clearly indicated by this picture that I previously posted on this site.
Their prediction was correct, it was snowing!

Migration of animals are also an indication that changes of season are forth coming, the massive migration of the caribou or the flocks of geese overhead. This is instinctive to most animals including the human. The migration of humans in Alaska can be easily recognized just prior to the onslaught of winter by seeing the number of PFD checks being mailed to Arizona, Florida, and Mexico.

My cousin on my brothers side of the family, Billy Bob, who lives in Pochatoula, Louisiana says he can predict that the swamps are going to flood when the animals start moving to the highest point of ground to avoid having to swim or sink. Billy Bob did take advantage of this change in weather status, he was able to save his jon boat, however lost his cabin during "Katrina" but he did get a new "coon skin" cap out of the deal.






You can take all of these weather predictions, some are correct, others are just folklore, but I do have a method of forecasting the season's. When I visit Whiskey Gulch Beach and see this weather indicator, I know that it is summer and "hot".
When I see this same "lady" dressed in hip boots and carrying a fishing rod, I know it is spring. When I see her wearing carharts and a rifle hanging in the rear window of her pick up, I know it is fall and moose hunting season is underway. When she is wearing carharts, bunny boots and a parka, it is sure sign of winter. Of all the season's, I really do enjoy summer the most.

This entry was posted on February 2, 2007 at Friday, February 02, 2007 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

4 comments

Ahh... the Ground Hog saw his shadow, early spring back east but the Brown Hog ate the snowball so that means long winter here.

As for your method, many of the young women around anchorage do not wear much more then what was shown on your beach picture.

2/2/07, 8:20 PM

In regards to "young women around anchorage" and your point being?

2/2/07, 11:44 PM

the point being... How will I know its spring if everyone doesn't wear clothes? I think I will listen to the BROWN HOG.

2/3/07, 3:32 PM

In all the years I have watched for this furry little guy I can rarelly remember him Not seeing his shadow and slipping back into his warm cage for a few more weeks of winter. This year however...the baby buffalo are showing signs to migrate...and in just 4 short days the snow melted enough so they could. Now I grew up here to and can remember one year 21 years ago that it hit 65 on February 12th. This was also the year that Mt. Augustine erupted a plum leaving us in the dark for several hours in the middle of the afternoon. This year will be Joshs 21st year...will the weater pattern repeat itself...with out the volcano preferably?

2/4/07, 9:38 AM

Post a Comment