"Cosmic Hamlet"  

Posted by Stan Harrington


"Where The Land Ends And The Sea Begins"

In the 1950's and 1960's, I spent my childhood and young adulthood years in Homer, Alaska. In the 1980's my children were raised and attended their school years in Homer, Alaska. My first grandchild was born in Homer, Alaska. Although, I prefer to live in Anchor Point, Alaska my "roots" grow deep in Homer. Upon retirement from the Navy, our family returned to live in Homer. After our return to Homer, we could not help but notice a change in the community and made the decision to move to Anchor Point. Over the past several years, I have continued to see this change of atmosphere in Homer transpire. Having been a local business person in the area with one business in Homer and two businesses in Anchor Point, I have always maintained the policy to "shop locally". From experience, I know how important it is to support the local small business person. They need all the support they can get to survive the economics of a small community.

During the past twenty four hours, I have encountered two situations that have made me reconsider my thought process. While working on my 2008 Federal income taxes, I called the Finance Office of the City of Homer to verify the current sales tax rate within the city limits. I posed my question to a very polite lady on the phone. She quickly answered my question that the current rate was 7.5%. This caught me by surprise as I thought it was a few cents less than that. I repeated her answer and she replied, "yes, we have really high taxes". I had to agree with her. The last year I was in business in Homer which was three years ago the rate structure was 5%.

Later in the evening, I was enjoying a social evening of a Texas
Hold'em Poker when a local but faithful spectator stopped by the pub to watch the poker tables. During a break, he informed me that the Homer City Council had just adopted a new ordinance. I could not believe what he had to tell me. Ordinance 90-01 "Green Fee For Disposable Shopping Bags", hence forth when shopping in Homer, Alaska if you have your purchases placed in a disposable bag, paper or plastic, you will be charged a "Green Fee" of .25 cents per bag. The Ordinance even applies if you take in your own plastic or paper bag, you are still charged the same amount. The "seller" or business person must record the charge on your sales receipt. Quarterly the business person must file with the Finance Department and remit the "Green Fee" minus 10% of the fees collected for their administrative cost in collecting the "Green Fee". Funds collected from this "Green Fee" will be split equally between two projects. I have no problem with 50% of the funds derived being given to the Homer Foundation to pay operating costs of nonprofit organizations in Homer. However, the remaining 50% will be used to finance projects to implement the City of Homer Climate Action Plan (huh?). So, if you plan on visiting Homer in the future, be prepared to pay a 7.5% Sales Tax plus a quarter for each bag that is used to hold those items that you purchased to support the economy of Homer.

I hate to abandon some good friends and business associates in Homer, but I have to take the actions of the City of Homer into consideration. The recent history of Homer is to fresh in my memory. The outcry of the community when the new harbor lights were installed in the Homer boat harbor to improve safety and security. The passage of the "Nuclear Free Zone" ordinance that was enacted by the city in the 1980's. The clamor and uproar of the community when McDonald's wanted to open a franchise. With time and concessions of the franchise, it was opened in the 1980's and has provided a steady employment benefit to the young people of Homer. We saw this uproar occur again in very recent years when Fred Meyers wanted to move to Homer and open a new store. Being faced with requirements that no other business had ever faced, they eventually gave up and took their jobs and services elsewhere. The list is endless of a variety of things that have occurred in Homer in recent years, none of them for the betterment of the community. It is a shame that the basic elements of a community has to change. The Homer that I knew is not the Homer of today and that is a shame.

I wish them well with their higher taxes and "Green Fees" to do a Climate Action Plan. Perhaps, part of Climate Action Plan can include a study of the Bridge Creek Drainage area. The increased usage of water which is being diverted to the City of Homer and the adverse affect it is having on the Anchor River.


Late Posting: 1/20/2009 10:45 a,m,) According to the City Clerks office, this ordinance had it's final reading and accepted by the council, however it will not be voted on for adoption until April. As best I can interpret, you are not charged for the bags that you bring in, however, you may still be charged a .25 cent green fee in addition to the sales price for each disposable shopping bag. We will wait to see what happens in April and the commencement of the "visitor" season.

This entry was posted on January 30, 2009 at Friday, January 30, 2009 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

6 comments

Heard rumor of this "green fee" around new year's. If the town didn't harbor so many earth-smoking tree-dwellers, I wouldn't believe it.
I would have to read the exact wording, but I don't believe they could charge you for your own re-used bag. DAMN HIPPIES!

1/30/09, 6:56 AM

After re-reading the ordinance I am still not sure, however, I tend to agree with your assessment on charging you for your own bags that you bring in, however, after reading it, I am not sure that you do not pay a "Green Fee" even if you do not use a bag. "5-42.030 Green Fee for disposable shopping bags. A seller shall charge and collect from each buy a green fee of twenty-five cents ($0.25) in addition to the sales price for each disposable bag that the seller provides the buyer". The minutes from from the council meeting are not yet on line, however, I called City Hall this morning to the Clerk's office. The Ordinance has had a final reading and will appear on the agenda for adoption in April. I assume this is when the current Mayor returns and also to make the timing a little closer to the tourist season.

1/30/09, 10:43 AM

It is unclear to me that the City can adopt the rule as planned as it is a tax and if my understanding of the Alaska Constitution is correct, a tax can not be dedicated, ie the Homer Foundation can't get half, rather it will all go to the general fund. It is also not clear how such an ordinance will effect purchases at the local hardware store...many bags for different nails, screws and such.

1/31/09, 9:55 AM

Snow1 ~ Bags of nails, screws, etc. are exempted and even mentioned as an example, however, it also reads that it is on those bags that are manufactured as containers and purchased that way by the retailer. It could affect the bulk purchases of nails, screws that both hardware stores carry and you buy them by the pound. The ordinance also exempts pre-packaged foods, including plastic bags that you put produce, meat, donuts, and prescription drugs in. The one thing it does not discuss is those stores that you bag your own groceries, i.e., Save U More. The merchant is required to track the bags and charge accordingly. You have a valid point pertaining to the tax and general fund. You and I realize it is a tax, but they may be trying to pass it off as a surcharge, in that event I do not know if it requires that the funds go into the General Account. It also exempts "newspaper sleeves", how many of these do we see laying along the highways? How about disposable diapers, perhaps we should add them to the list? Just think of all that toilet paper that is used daily, I think it should also be included. How about those plastic bags that you see strung about that contained ice at one time? How about the bags that you get for carry out food such as McDonalds, are they included under the Green Ordinance? It all boils down to B.S. but I guess that is not under the Green Ordinance unless you bag it! I know an "out of towner" should not be commenting ~ but those of us that live out of the City spend a lot of money in the City. I want equal representation ~ will you run for City Council? If I come into the bank and get a lot of cash and you have to bag it for me, will you waive the Green Fee?

1/31/09, 9:00 PM

We actually do not reside within the City of Homer either. We are proud resident of Kachemak City where I have in the past served on the city council.

2/7/09, 11:57 PM

May prompt the traveler response of I am just passing through...

2/9/09, 1:25 PM

Post a Comment