"Reality Checks"  

Posted by Stan Harrington

With colder than normal temperatures, hovering from a high of minus -3 to a low of -27 in our fair village, I decided to seek a little warmer climate today. Although, I had other reasons for making this trip, the warmer climate would be a welcome change. I decided to visit Homer, Alaska. Departing my driveway at noon, I could not help but notice my thermometer registered our daily high of minus two degrees. As I passed through the Anchor River Valley, a quarter of a mile from my home the temperature dropped another eight degrees, to a low of minus ten.

Heading south into the sun, as I passed my children's favorite espresso stand at Black Water Bend the temperature had continued to drop to -17 degrees. Crossing the Anchor River the thermometer slowly started to raise. Pulling into the bank in Homer, my thermometer registered the same as the flashing temperature sign, a positive 5 degrees. I had found my sun! Completing my loan processing, I was now prepared to achieve the original objective of my trip. Visiting the Alaska Department of Motor Vehicles in Homer is a great way to remind you how slow government agencies can complete a simple task. The reason for my visit this day was to renew my pick-up truck registration. Now, I do have to admit, that I often overlooked this deadline every two years and have been known to get in at least a extra year before I have to appear at the door of the DMV. However, today, I was only two months late so I was feeling real good about myself.

My
first "reality check" occurred as I approached the front doors of the DMV. A large sign was posted on the window. "OPEN 8 A.M. TO 6:30 P.M.". Wow, before it was whenever they opened their front doors until they went to lunch which would vary from day to day. In the past, forget going to DMV on Tuesday, Wednesday, sometimes Thursday because that was the day they did the "driver's tests. My second "reality check"occurred when I stepped through the door, there was only one customer at the counter and two clerks were on duty, ready to serve the public. In the past, you normally wanted to take a thermos of coffee and picnic lunch because you were going to be there awhile. On typical days in the past, the waiting area which was "behind the red line" extended out into the hallway. Forget a number process, if you had to fall out of line for any reason, you lost your spot unless you knew the clerk. Having this privilege always gave you "head of the line" privileges. Now, the "red line" has even been removed.

Third "reality check", the lady at the counter was very friendly and greeted me with a big smile and "how are you doing Mr. Harrington"? This caused me a moment to reflect on if I was indeed in the right office. Within five minutes and without scolding me for being "late again" my paperwork was precessed and I exchanged my bank loan for the little slip of paper and plastic decal. As I turned to depart, she once again acknowledged that I was a human by simply stating, "have a good day Mr. Harrington and stay warm". Now, I do not know who is to blame for changing the DMV Office in Homer, Alaska but you have my personal gratitude for a job "Well Done" as it was an pleasurable experience and I almost look forward to my next trip.

Fourth "reality check" came to me as I settled down behind the steering wheel of my truck, still basking from the warm reception that I had just encountered at the DMV. It was only then that I looked down at the little slip of paper in my hand, my legal Registration Form giving my vehicle and presumably myself the right to drive on our highways. Realizing that I was late by two months for registering my "ole truck", my Registration Form indicated that my new Plastic Tag needs to be affixed to the rear license plate would expire the last day of October 2010. A very quick, but accurate calculation of simple math revealed to me that in October 2010, I am going to be 65 years of age. In the event you do not keep up with "Senior Citizen Privileges", at the age of 65 you are entitled to one personal vehicle that can be registered FREE! Unless, I get real stupid in the next one year and ten months, I will never have to register a vehicle again or even visit the Department of Motor Vehicles. At least on my last visit, it was a pleasant experience.

However, not to get stuck on details, I may have to return to the same office, the way that I have it computed, I turn 65 in May 2010. I calculate that I should get a refund on my registration from my birthday in 2010 through October 2010 when my registration is up for renewal of my "free" registration . The way, I have it figured out, I was overcharged by $38.65

This entry was posted on January 6, 2009 at Tuesday, January 06, 2009 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

4 comments

Don't tell me Victoria has retired!
Sounds like it was easy street, but
good luck with your $38, Stan.

1/7/09, 5:21 AM

I was honored with a senior discount when I registered the car just before Christmas. It pays to drive the Granny Vanny!

It saddens me to know the DMV Nazi has retired! When a state office stops being ran like a personal business you know your in a big city.

1/7/09, 6:44 AM

The lady in which you speakth has been gone for some time, long story so I shall garnish my comment. However, the other thing I noticed and appreciated, all of the Green Peace, Save the Planet, Love, Anti Nuclear Power, and Anti Military posters that had adorned the walls, have been removed. There was more than a few of us that registered complaints about these "personal opinion" decorations in a government office.

1/7/09, 8:57 AM

dmv=best job in state

people homestead those jobs

1/8/09, 1:29 AM

Post a Comment