Bring It On  

Posted by Stan Harrington

After enduring several blizzards and countless hours of windshield time plowing snow, we get hit by a great cold snap. Even those of you living in tropical LA have seen a noticeable decline in temperatures. Down here on the Kenai Peninsula, we have just about froze out. Had to stop using my 500 gallon propane tank at the video store, now we just have the tanker truck backed into the parking lot and taking it on directly from the tanker. However, things could be worse.

At least that is what I was telling myself until just a few minutes ago when I clicked onto the National Weather Service to see what we could expect tomorrow. If you notice those nice white spots which are a minority, that is where it is suppose to be normal. See that green color for LA, well that is a Dense Fog Advisory until noon on Wednesday. Oh, did I forget that you also have a strong wind warning from noon on Wednesday to Thursday, I wonder what happened to the fog?

See that green down on the beautiful Kenai Peninsula, they tell us that we have a Snow Advisory from 9 am on Wednesday to 6 am on Thursday with snow accumulation of just fourteen (14) inches, with the heaviest concentration south of Clam Gulch. That is the great news that I was really looking forward to hearing. You know those fence posts that I have around the tackle shop? Someone either stole them or they are somewhere under the snow. Remember when we were all wishing for a "White Christmas", you should always watch out for what you wish for.

I will try to trek myself into the Hole In The Wall Recreational Area on snowshoes and shovel off those campers that remain in the area. Yea, right, I will get on that - shovel your own roofs. I tried to warn all of you, I had a vision that we were going to have a hard winter. That is why I provided extra dunnage for the house on stilts, double wrapped the moose wallow and even covered the bear den. Good thing, I had the good idea about putting the extra security dunnage on the back door of that one camper, would hate to see that door come open with the prevailing winds and snow. It would have made a great place for the Plumma and Homer to cool their beer if it did fill up with snow.

Now I do not want you guys in LA feeling sorry for Grannie and me, we will be ok, you just relax, enjoy yourselves with your winter activities while your city government does all your plowing, snow removal, garbage pick up and all the other amenities that you enjoy in the city. Grannie and I will just take care of things ourselves, knowing that the job will get done properly.

This entry was posted on January 9, 2007 at Tuesday, January 09, 2007 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

8 comments

I feel secure in knowing that you will continue to be the caretaker of our estate(s) at HITWRA. The check's in the mail.

1/10/07, 5:05 AM

Have you called your eldest son? He is closest and there assigned to help the seniors in the family....but i think you will be okay as long as mom doesn't disappear down the embankment. AWW ...Shit you loose mom and Shane won't ever find her...do you need me to hire a caretaker or move down???

1/10/07, 7:39 AM

Yoiu guys turned "white" overnight! Your warnings are cancelled and ours got worse, they have even shut down our doppler radar - how will I ever know when it snows? I had not thought about PaPa Bear, he could bring out his snow machine to access the HITWRA and tow your mother in on skis, between the two of them they should be able to shovel all the roofs. But I am not worried about the "Duck House", I know how it is constructed and it will withstand any amount. Come to think of it, you guys should take it north inthe fall, it would be a grteat little ice fishing shanty on your lakes, it already has two holes to fish through. Marvelous concept!

1/10/07, 9:01 AM

What are you fishing for in those holes-flashlights. I have visions of my sister
suspended by her feet fishing around in the
duck house. Dont dare drop her. U wouldnt , would you....

1/11/07, 10:26 AM

And did i detect a roaring fireplace, a bearskin
rug, snowed in with your beautiful wife and
a glass of hot Whine.....

1/11/07, 10:27 AM

Think of me as the snow piles up around your
snug abode-fully chained up, braving 100 mph
winds, treacherous roads, the frieght must
go through.

1/11/07, 10:28 AM

Of course if I told you the truth -50-60 degree
weather, sunshine from Georgia, thru Alabama,
green grass in Mississippi, Spring like weather
in Louisiana, warm weather in Texas.

1/11/07, 10:30 AM

Yep, but you are going to catch hell - that big freeze that hit us is justy now getting to you - you may want to detour around Beaver, Utah this trip as well as Oklahoma, can yo9u spell ice storm?

1/12/07, 9:53 AM

Post a Comment