Prattle News  

Posted by Stan Harrington

I remember several months ago when several bloggers in the LA area were having a fit over the new electrical transmission towers that were being placed along the scenic boulevards of that fair city. Now, Anchor Point is not community to be left behind in the "war of progress". We now proudly display a tower in the core of our central business district. I am willing to bet, that our tower is larger than those erected in LA. Although, construction is not yet complete, it extends at a minimum of 100 feet into the air and is eight foot in circumference at the base. Unlike, LA we only have one but it is a big one and not yet completed. I am going to petition the Chamber of Commerce and see if we can make arrangements to string lights on it at Christmas, especially since it is clearly visible from my home and right across the street from Point West Video.

The only other local news is that it is finally snowing, I mean like it has been almost a day since we had our last snow, but this time it is plowable so I get yet another opportunity to put some mileage on the plow truck.

Not having a lot of news in Anchor Point has forced me once again to dig up some news worthy items that you may not see or hear from the normal news media.

Glancing through the LA Times today, checking out the weather forecast on page B-8, I came across this picture:
The caption under the picture is unique! "A Tanker Offloads Cook Inlet Crude In Nikiski". Now I wonder, why was a tanker off loading Cook Inlet Crude when it was setting in Cook Inlet and tied up to the refinery dock. I am sure the reporter must have got his nautical terminology wrong and meant to say, "A Tanker Taking On Cook Inlet Crude In Nikiski". Never trust the mainstream news media.

Lt. Commander Quinton McHale, of the 1960's TV comedy hit, "McHales Navy" will turn 90 years of age on Wednesday, January 24th. Ernest Borgnine starred in many movies and a very frequent visitor to the Anchor Point area. He is seen on a regular basis at the Anchor River Inn or the Happy Valley Restaurant. Last time that I saw him, he was enjoying an afternoon toddy (perhaps several) after a day of fishing.

I missed purchasing that 1959 Ford Thunderbird for $500.00, I was only forty years to late. But, now it appears I let another "classic" slip through my fingers. This little baby was only driven on Sunday by a little lady when she went to church. This is a 1966 Shelby Cobra, 800 horsepower and even in my favorite color. The "Super Snake" was sold at auction by Carroll Shelby, age 84. Mr Shelby created the Cobra in the 1960's and has been the only owner of this particular car. The "Super Snake" has twin superchargers on a 427 cubic inch V-8. The car had a twin, the 2nd car was built for comedian Bill Cosby who later sold the car and it was destroyed in an accident. The only reason that this car is not parked in my driveway is that it sold for a 5.5 million dollars.

For those that are wondering about the good looking dog on my site, his name is Dutch Harbor Dutchman or "Dutch" for short. He is a registered Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever and as my children know, he rates very high in my Last Will and Testament. Next month he will be turning five years old, I mention this for the sake of my children, lest they forget.
After a long day of retrieving and working out, there is nothing as nice as a good cold beer, however, I refrain from this habit because all I can offer "Dutch" is a little water as he does not like beer.
However, today I discover that this error has been corrected and by coincidence in the Dutch Community of Zelhem. Teri Berenden, a pet shop owner in Zelhem has developed a "beer" for dogs! She has hunting dogs and felt guilty at enjoying a beer after a hunt when the dogs did most of the work. The beer is made from beef extract and malt.
She consigned the beverage to a local brewery to make and bottle and it is marketed under the name of Kwispelbier. It was introduced into the market last week and advertised as "a beer for your best friend". "Kwispel" is the Dutch word for "wagging a tail" and of course bier is beer. The beer is fit for human consumption, but in their market it is $2.14 cents a bottle, which is about four times more expensive as Heineken. (Side Bar: I think Homer and Plumma are buying their beer in the wrong country). Now I am not one to make suggestions, however with a birthday coming up real soon, I bet ole "Dutch" would be grateful to find a case of "Kwispelbier" cooling in the glacier snow at the Hole In The Wall Recreational Area" during the Memorial Day Week festivities. "A "Dutch" beer for the Dutchman, salute"

This entry was posted on January 23, 2007 at Tuesday, January 23, 2007 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

4 comments

So if Dutch is 5, is Erica 30 yet? Not sure my brother would partake in inebriating himself...but after a few shots of that nasty stuff Eric drinks I bet my husband would help John finish off what ever is left in the case Dutch wont drink. Happy Birthday to the old guy. Congrats on making it 90 years bet he has seen a lot. If we get much more snow here the baby buffalo will be stuck inside till June!!!

1/23/07, 7:03 AM

I am too cheap...Dutch can drink regular beer.

1/23/07, 10:36 AM

Slow news day or what-Yes, I made it, bloggin in Beaver

1/23/07, 12:10 PM

This bier is a hot topic across the globe.
One question :
If it is made with beef extracts, does each beer have more nutrients than a pork chop?

1/24/07, 5:45 AM

Post a Comment