Please Identify  

Posted by Stan Harrington

I have been waiting very patiently the majority of this summer for my tomatoes to ripen. Currently, my tomato plants are between five and six feet tall, laden down with blossoms and hundreds of small green tomatoes. However, I have yet to reap the harvest of one single tomato as they will not ripen. In my own mind, I have determined the reason for this is that we have not had enough sun and warm weather this summer. I have talked with several gardeners in the area, most of them have the same problem with a few of them experiencing very good harvests of vine ripened love apples.
Following my normal daily schedule, I checked the green house this afternoon to see if by chance that a ripe tomato might appear. Although, I had no ripe fruit on the vines, I did hear a slurping sound. Because of the plant growth, my tomato patch is similar to a rain forest due to the vegetation. By pulling the lower branches aside, I finally discovered a little creature enjoying the suculant flavor of a ripe tomato. I now know why I have not received any tomatoes this year, it was because of this little creature. However, I have researched the internet pertaining to wildlife of Alaska and cannot find anything that resembles this little guy. Not knowing what it is, I have this little creature locked up behind bars in a small dog kennel, hoping that someone can identify him, her or it. If you have any concept, please let me know. All I know about it is that it has an appetite for tomatoes.

This entry was posted on September 9, 2006 at Saturday, September 09, 2006 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

6 comments

that little fella looks alot like a hedge hog...usually native to a much warmer climate but often sold at pet stores for a great deal of money...my guess is if you call "The Dog On News" his owner is probably listening and may even be offering a hefty reward. but then you could keep him as a pet for Dutch...2

9/9/06, 7:08 PM

I think, to have hedge hogs, one must have hedges. Therefore, due to lack of hedges (but, abundance of rock "henges") this is none other than the elusive Arctic Henge Hog. There has been only 3 sightings of this species in the last 20 years - 2 records in Canada - and the critters have migrated into Alaska by the population of Cougar in our neighboring country. Please donate to your local KCC center and we can put a stop to this madness before our state is full of penguin-chasing, Haarp-playing, Tomato-eating creatures that are devastating our crops and animal populations and, simply, don't belong here.

By the way, I've been enjoying your word verification lately.

9/10/06, 7:27 AM

H eis so cute...i want him!

9/10/06, 9:36 AM

I am not sure that this little creature is a Hedge Hog, pewrhaps a miniture baby Arctic Polar Pig.

9/10/06, 10:08 AM

that must be it...Daddy i want a miniture baby Arctic Polar Pig!! and if i don' get it now i am gonna throw a azeonl!!

9/10/06, 9:34 PM

she will never learn...a polar pig would give her one more mouth to feed. One more butt to clean up after, one more thing in need for time and attention....I say ROAST THE DAME POLAR PIG! shishkabobs anyone
datkhkep a ggood day

9/11/06, 8:19 AM

Post a Comment