Home Again  

Posted by Stan Harrington

With the majority of our family now residing in the LA area, it appears that we will be making the trek north on regular basis. Being an old country boy living in the "Little Village By the River" this is something that I really do not relish, other than seeing all of my children and grandchildren. A trip from the rural lifestyles that we lead to a metropolitan culture can be rather shocking, however, it makes us appreciate our solitude even more upon our return. I do have to admit, that a trip to LA is always educational. I always seem to see learn or see something that intrigues me. For instance, while visiting Homer and family we had a chance to see their apple tree, the branches laden with plump apples. However, it was the tarp that intrigued me the most. Anytime, I see a blue tarp, I have to wonder to myself what kind of treasures is it protecting from the elements. As you all know, Homer is a diesel mechanic. He and the Plumma are both tradesmen and quite often come up with new inventions using a variety of parts from bicycles, wheelchair's, and shopping baskets. It came as no surprise to me when I peeled back the blue tarp to discover their latest invention.

At first glance, this appears as a very large barbecue grill, however, this is no ordinary grill. Please note that it is powered by a Hemmi Diesel! With the obsession that the Plumma has for pigs, they decided they needed a grill that could roast a whole hog. With little fish to show for their summer fishing expeditions, I can see them eating a lot of porkies this winter, but they do have the grill to accommodate a hog. While on the subject of fishing, while there the Plumma, pup Wolf and Little Buff decided to indulge in one of the local metro canals for the last of the summer, they were very successful, each of them bringing home a spawned out Humpy for the barbecue grill.
While in LA, I always find something to amuse me, for instance Sunday morning I sat in this large non-discrip park, just a very large green lawn with nothing else, but as I sat there shortly after daylight enjoying my morning coffee, I had the opportunity to view a large flock of Canadian Honkers feeding on the lawn. Temptation did get the best of me as I finished my coffee and reached behind the seat of the truck and pulled out my old double barrel twelve gauge. I have never seen "Dutch" so excited, his natrural instinct took over so I released him. He pranced, jumped and ran in circles, all the time watching the geese. As true to his breed, the honkers started moving closer and within firing range. When the smoked cleared, I had 16 empty shells on the ground and a lawn littered with geese. It took "Dutch" twenty five minutes to retrieve them all, but we got a nice limit - whatever the limit is on metro geese. At least the kids will have something other than Pork and spawned out humpies to eat this winter. I love my new permanent fishing and hunting license, I was told there was no limit when you use a license of this type, very similar to a credit card.
I always find something to amuse myself in LA, for instance after the goose massacre, I drove by Home Depot. I was surprised to see it open at 7:30 am and I was the only customer, I spent the best part of an hour there asking all the questions I could think of, at one time I had over ten employee's running around the store looking for my requested items, which I did not need and did not purchase, but it was fun.
The word "hump" was a wide variety of definitions, some of which you should not use in mixed company. Out here in the country, when we want to slow traffic down they install a "Speed Bump", not in LA. On the street to my brother in laws home on the Hillside, they have a series of "Speed Humps". Each one is clearly marked with a big yellow sign "SPEED HUMP"! Must be something to do with the hurry up culture of the metropolitan area, they do not even take the time to have a "Slow Hump".
Now Wally World is always a great place to find something interesting, most often the shoppers. I did notice something that upset me, I considered making a complaint and then decided that I had best not in fear that I would be accused of "Profiling". Being in the video business, I always cruise the video section seeing what they have and how they display their wares. While reviewing the DVD section, I come across one of the truly classic Westerns that has been converted to DVD. I have written about it in the past, one of my favorites, "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" (Paul Newman and Robert Redford". A true epic western about two guys that were best friends and wanna be outlaws. They played together and died together. This is one time that I really wanted one of those new fangled cell phones that take pictures because the DVD that was displayed next to this class western was no other than "Brokeback Mountain", a story of two cowboys (sheepherders) who were very close. Now I ask myself, was this a coincidence or was it planned - regardless, they are now separated as I rearranged their shelves. Next time, you are in the Diamond Walmart, take a look and see if they are still separated. I would appreciate it and I know Paul Newman and Robert Redford would really appreciate it as well.

This entry was posted on September 4, 2006 at Monday, September 04, 2006 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

4 comments

This is a test, last post was published 31 hours ago with no comments posted. Test is to determine if blog site remains active or if it has become invisible to the naked eye. Hello out there! This is a test to see if my counter is stopped at 6,400.

9/5/06, 5:29 PM

Test pattern completred, site is still active so it appears that my computer has not lost it's fluxxy, which is good, now I do not have to "tinker"

9/5/06, 5:31 PM

Never thought that I would have to respond to my own blog to generate a little interest. A great blog Grand Eagle, I laughed all the way through it!

9/5/06, 5:33 PM

Would ya hold your pants on...I am getting to you as quickly as I can. Seems the trip to LA was not only eventful but productive as well...what did you do with all the feathers? Wolf pups and moose calves Love "dead animals" for toys...ya might consider those "wings" for Christmas gifts. And dont forget Tay...we all know how much she feels left out when the other kids get "dead animals" to play with. Have a gbvcak day!

9/6/06, 1:51 PM

Post a Comment