Is It Snowing  

Posted by Stan Harrington

Don't know about the rest of the world outside of Anchor Point, but it is snowing here! It did not show up on the Doppler Radar, therefore all this white stuff is not snow. Don't know where it came from, but it did dump on us. I plowed this morning, had about seven inches on the ground. Before I finished plowing, it started to snow again and has been snowing since. We are now snow bound and I doubt that I will be able to find my plow truck, should have tied a string to it!

In the event that you were planning on attending the 1st Annual Snow Games at the Hole In The Wall Recreational Area, this weekend. Please make alternative plans, all games have been cancelled due to snow and the potential for avalanches. All of you know that my professional deck and sidewalk snow remover is a fanatic when it comes to removing snow. She did a great job this morning, however, the picture below was taken about fifteen minutes ago, the hump you see in the snow is the hot tub on our deck - don't know where the deck went since it is 24 inches inches lower than the edge of the hot tub. As I sit here, I wonder how the HITW Fire Pit Gazebo is fairing and if I will ever be able to break a road into the area again this winter.
As a side bar, this evening I was watching the Republican Presidential candidate debate in South Carolina. A debate was going on as to the "surge" in Iraq and how slowly the democratic form of government was taking hold in that country. The question was posed by a very far left liberal hoping to spark a little controversy with the Republicans. Senator McCain probably gave the best answer that I have ever heard pertaining to this subject, as quoted by him; "Democracy in Iraq is going to take time, there are no Thomas Jefferson's in Iraq, Saddam Hussein killed all of them."

This entry was posted on January 10, 2008 at Thursday, January 10, 2008 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

8 comments

I have no concept of what is going on in the prognasticator or weather forecasting service and it's associated modern equipment. The Doppler clearly shows what is happening is not happening and a figment of my imagination. There is no snow out there except for a few scattered flurries in Prince William Sound and Upper Cook Inlet. They hardly make a track on the radar scope - yet I can't get out my front door! I am going to give it another hour and then going to declare my decks, yard and driveway a natural disaster.

1/10/08, 11:00 PM

My boss called snow says up here the two days, it is pretty and white and fluffy. I woke up this morning with hot coffee and a shoveled drive way. Then the neighbor plowed out in front of the house. I am loving the snow, sitting here all snuggly at home in my fat pants watching it come down.

Great come back from senator McCain.

1/10/08, 11:08 PM

Fat pants? Suggest you shovel more snow! If you do not have enough to shovel, come on down your mother would love to bond with you on the deck!

1/10/08, 11:11 PM

The time is now, 11:21 pm still snowing, snow is now up to the windows on the front deck and up to the door knob on the back porch due to prevailing winds. No end in sight!

1/10/08, 11:24 PM

While I can appreciate Heidi's perspective of sitting inside in my fat pants with a cup of warm coffee watching the snow come down, the kind of days movies are made about and one of the memories I hold dear. It is however the aftermath that I do not appreciate. The cold wet snow and the removal of it. The driving in it and the inevitable accidents around town from the bad roads and careless drivers. Heidi if you could place up a web cam for those of us who are now going through "Spring", I would greatly appreciate it. As for our snow we have gotten more, it was almost an inch, and it melted that same afternoon with the above 40 temperatures.
As for what Senator McCain's comment: RIGHT ON! I love it. The guy has a sense of humor! From what I am hearing though he has not faired well in the races so far. Too bad. I think America needs a little sense of humor!

1/11/08, 6:50 AM

Hey Stan get on Yahoo messenger! Heather has been trying to call you but you are never on! (She wanted me to tell you, so you have been told!)

1/11/08, 7:03 AM

Hey I said the pants are fat not me!

1/11/08, 8:47 AM

0845: House bound, snow above window heights on front deck, hot tub now just a mound, best guess estimate until we can get a measurement, 24 to 32 inches. A nice moose did break trail around the house and onto the driveway which the dogs took advanatghe of, but would not stray from the moose trail. To Nebraska, as soon as I learn how to turn on IM I will be on line but with the difference of hours, it may be hard to catch me but we will give it a try. As for Senator McCain, he won the New Hampshire primary and within a ferw percentage points of Rommney for the National lead in the polls, if you want to bleieve those.

1/11/08, 8:55 AM

Post a Comment