Looking For Models  

Posted by Stan Harrington

Since the day after Christmas, I have now logged 104.7 miles in pursuit of "wildlife shots", being somewhat restricted in this area to Moose. I have visited all of the local winter feeding areas without even seeing a track. Today, for the second time, I drove the North Fork Loop Road. Believing that the snow may have driven the Moose into the river valley. My assumption proved wrong. I have driven the Beach Road a dozen times, this time of the year there is always a minimum of twenty moose wintering in this area. This year not a track. Today, I ventured into Homer and went east as far as Millers Landing and doubled back on Kachemak Drive, known for centuries as being the winter feeding area for moose. I did see one Raven sitting in a Spruce Bark Beetle killed tree, even their habitat is being eliminated. I now believe that all of the Wolves on the Kenai Peninsula have disseminated our Moose population and have now moved to Anchorage in search of dogs.

In frustration, I headed to the Homer Spit to get some Eagle shots. Something that I swore I would not do, but I did find it enjoyable and will go back. I found one prop, I may have to take a lunch and sit on it several days in row, but eventually I will get a Eagle to roost. When I do, it will be an Eagle picture that you have never seen before. I have learned already, patience is the name of the game.

This is a majestic American Bald Eagle
This is the same Eagle, proving that even the majestic can have
a bad "hair day"

This entry was posted on January 2, 2008 at Wednesday, January 02, 2008 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

3 comments

sounds like the new toy is providing entertainment and keeping you busy. or, maybe, just harassing the local wildlife - either way, busy. if I only had all day to drive around.... do you think the price of fuel is jacking picture market value?

1/3/08, 5:13 AM

Nice shots... shall we try a scavenger hunt? might be a fun winter game!
Next time you come to LA you can borrow the little dogs, and go Wolf fishing.

1/3/08, 7:45 AM

new post on iditiroad and iditipoem

1/3/08, 5:06 PM

Post a Comment