Winter Photo Safari  

Posted by Stan Harrington

Alaska, under clear blue skis, the spruce trees glistening in the sunshine with snow laden branches, the contrast of the dark green branches aginst their white tipped branches makes a wonderful back drop for photography. One does not fully realize the variety of game animals that inhabit the woods just outside your door until you spend a winter day tramping through the snow. Perhaps, the variety of game animals in Alaska is one of the best kept secrets in the free world. The majority of the Alaskans do not even realize that some species of these animals are native to the area or just visiting the area in pursuit of food. One of the most photographed animals is the moose. This awkward appearing animal can tie up traffic for miles during the summer months as "tourists" clammer for their camera to get that once in a life time shot of a Moose.

In my walk about, I did see a animal that appeared to be laying down
in the snow. The coloration and size, appeared to be a Moose in the sleeping position so I decided to see how close I could get to it. Much to my surprise, it was
not a Moose. I thought someone was suppose to be watching our borders, how did this guy sneak through and find it's way to Anchor Point, Alaska?




Hearing that a good concentration of Moose and Eagles were collecting in the Homer area, better known as the "Little Village on the Slough", I ventured forth to see what I could see. Although, I did get some good Eagle pictures, I did not see any sign of Moose in the area, especially around the high school. A known habitat for wintering Moose. Venturing into the bush, a squirell chattering got my attention. Not having a good picture of this specie, I started searching the branches overhead, much to my surprise, I found a specie that I did not know existed in Homer except during local elections.



In all, it was a great day to get out, enjoy the feel of spring and get some good shots.

This entry was posted on January 31, 2008 at Thursday, January 31, 2008 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

2 comments

The lion - big deal. The primates are something strange, though, unless the East-End variety of populous counts. Another reason to limit annex.

2/2/08, 6:09 AM

Not shots, wish I could take some photo's like that ... could these be monkeys that were rescued?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6CSIFi78Nw

2/2/08, 9:00 AM

Post a Comment