Hole In The Wall Recreational Area  

Posted by Stan Harrington

Minus eight days and counting down for the arrival of our first guests to the Most Westerly Hole in The Wall Recreational Area in the world. To bring our guests up to date, completed some finishing touches to the Multi-purpose building this morning, it is ready to move! The padded seating for your comfort has been installed to finish it up - there are a few more touches to do but some things should be kept secret until the right opportunity!
Your "campground hosts" spent the rest of the day in the recreational area, doing a lot of clean up work and a little re-arranging. I was able to get in and back blade 90% of the area with my snowplow. It works pretty good, as long as you back blade but could use a little hydraulic pressure when it is down. But it was a vast improvement. The sand is really helping, reportedly the tractor will be back on site tomorrow. It did dry up enough that I could drive the full width and length of the area except for where the Moose got stuck and in front of the Bear Den. By this evening, it was dry enough the Moose Clan got the trailer out so they can back it in instead of being broadside. We still have some drainage to contend with, seems that we have a real life glacier that we did not know existed. I had Erica take a picture of it and I have named it the Switch Back Trail Glacier. The gulley next to the "switch back" filled up with snow and it has not melted, it looks just like a glacier coming down the hillside. I will keep back blading, it the sandman does his thing we should be in real good shape if we do not get a lot of rain.
I spent the majority of my day, working on and cleaning the fire pit area. I apologize to the Alpha Bitch, but I had to borrow some of your rocks - but I replenished them by about two metric tons and expanded your flower bed - I did it in haste so you can rearrange them upon your arrival if you want to. You will also be happy to hear that the plants that you transplanted are coming up, but with the expansion, you are going to need a lot of plants! The Buffalo Clan and Bear clan will have to wait for any improvements until it dries up some. In regards to the "fire pit", I think you will enjoy and appreciate the new look. I wanted to do something about the large jagged rocks. I was afraid one of the "little people" would trip on them and end up getting burned, so I made it as "little people proof" as possible. I enjoyed the first fire of the season as I cleaned up around the area and burned the trash that I had raked up. I cleaned out the pit, remember all those bottles that you burned last year? I found them all! At any rate, we had a good day in the pit and look forward to your arrival.

This entry was posted on May 14, 2006 at Sunday, May 14, 2006 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

4 comments

I forgot to mention it, but the Golden Grammy and I was talking today about your shopping spree for groceries. I have no concept what you want to get, quantities, etc. but we will be in Anchorage on the 17th and 18th. We do have access to a very special store in the Anchorage area that provides us some great discounts due to our historical usage of their facilities. We could most likely save you a lottt of money!

5/14/06, 11:25 PM

Glad to hear it is drying out...a glacier huh...that could be cool..cant wait to see all the hard work...loves to ya...see ya Saturday/

5/15/06, 7:28 AM

Good idea, skunk, uh, eagle, uh ...SKEAGLE! Since everybody who's anybody reads YOUR site (nothing to do with so much free time), we need to drum up a shopping list from the clans. Look forward to seeing the glacier. If you are worried it might melt, you could try a "glacial wrap" to preserve it 'til our arrival.

5/15/06, 8:34 PM

The "greenhouse" effect does have a direct impact on global warning, the Switch Back Trail glacier is receding rapidly, not by inches but by feet each day - Golden Grammy will be happy when it is gone for good, it seems to do most of it's "calving" at night and it keeps her awake since the bedroom is less than a 100 feet fromt he glacier! Did anyone notice how simple it is to post comments on some sites!

5/15/06, 10:49 PM

Post a Comment