Long Day  

Posted by Stan Harrington

Another King Salmon Tournament is now in the history books. Since we had to cancel the Calcutta King Salmon Tournament last weekend due to weather, we re-scheduled it for yesterday. It was a great day, sunny and calm waters with Saint Augustine coming to life once again. The day started for me at 5:00 a.m. so "Dutch" and I spent the day at the tackle shop to weigh in fish. We closed the scales down at 7:00 p.m. with my good friend Meryl Wolfords boat brining in the largest King Salmon, weighing in a 37.4 pounds. The fishermen that landed the big fish was Manfred Gaedeke. Historically, this is the first repeat championship that we have seen in the tournament, Meryl also won the tournament three years ago. Ironically, Manfred also caught the large fish in that tournament so we have a double repeat. Sue Finney, who owns a floral shop in Homer was the high bidder on Meryl's boat, she paid $400.00 in the auction, her investment yield her $4,000!
Closing the scales at 7:00 p.m., I rushed home, shaved, changed clothes. Terry and I made the trek on foot across the bridge and up the hill to the school to do a benefit auction that was suppose to start at 7:00 p.m. I made it without Terry having to carry me, but I must admit I had to make three stops to let my leg rest. Had a long auction, a lot of very nice items, they had started the auction prior to my arrival with an ad hoc auctioneer so I did not have to do the entire auction but it went well. After a couple of toddies at the inn to fortify myself, we made the trek back down the hill, this time without having to stop one time. I have come to the conclusion that since alcohol is a thinner, I am going to start carrying a "flask" with me just to take a little nip whenever I have the need. Hey, it is an excuse, not a crutch!
Had a little vandalism at the tackle shop on Friday night, after seeing the number of "teens" in the campground celebrating their final year in high school, I decided that I would spend the night at the shop. My "trusty watch dog" Dutch and I returned to the shop and slept on the floor the final four hours of darkness. The vandalism at the store consisted of stealing. For the first time this year, Heath parked his boat at the shop, he and his fishing partner slept at the tackle shop so they would not sleep in and be late for the tournament. They launched his boat early and went fishing, getting to Whiskey Gulch when they quickly discovered that his full tank of gas was empty. Someone had come in and syphoned his gas during the night while they slept, did not touch anything else in the boat, even the fishing rods were left behind. They cell phoned one of the wives and she went to Whiskey Gulch with a new can of gas so they could continue to fish. As usual, they were the last boat in at the end of the tournament so they spent 13 hours on the water. Several King Salmon, but nothing large enough to keep for the tournament. So, after a very long day, a very short night, I am ready to go back to getting my projects done. For those anticipating getting in a little fishing, with the warmer weather, we may see some fair to good conditions on the river by Memorial Day. This coming weekend, when the river opens for the first time, it looks like it is going to be high and dirty. Have a good day, it looks like it is going to be another beautiful day.

This entry was posted on May 14, 2006 at Sunday, May 14, 2006 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

3 comments

Good day Mr Eagle. Sounds like you had a rather eventful day yesterday. But it sounds like it was fun. Anyway how is the bridge project coming along?

5/14/06, 10:59 AM

I do believe that Uncle Joe, Grandpa and Uncle Don all carried "flasks", not sure what was in them but I think I do remember them...so a little "flask" at your age might not be such a bad idea...especially if it helps the leg..."crutch"...yep..."excuse"...nope...you need the crutch.

5/14/06, 12:00 PM

it leaves your hands free...we all know how the law feels about "hands free systems"...

5/14/06, 12:01 PM

Post a Comment