Spring!  

Posted by Stan Harrington

What a great day, I do think spring is finally here! Checked all my little flowering bushes, perennials, and the birch trees that I forced planted this morning. I had a 100% survival rate over the winter, most of the bushes are starting to bud out. The peonies have even pushed to the surface.
We are suppose to have this type of weather for several days, while doing some last minute "little chores" on the "multi-purpose" building today I started the day with a insulated shirt, vest and light jacket - by this afternoon I was down to my t-shirt, almost like summer.
The "Hole In The Wall" recreational area got it's first victim today. Heath had moved more sand in yesterday so it is drying up much better. He decided to move his trailer around to face out into the "pit" area. He got to the trailer, turned towards the "Bear Den" so he could back up to the trailer and sank out of sight! Although the edges are drying out nicely, that area is still pretty wet, I could not believe that he tried it. I went back to work, checking on them occasionally and they were still stuck. After an hour or so, I decided to go down to see if I could help them because they were not going anywhere. I was able to back my rig almost into his trailer and with a long chain and a tow strap was able to hook up to his rear end and jerk him out. I towed him all the way out to the access road, just to make sure he was not going to get stuck again. I surely do not mind pulling out Chevrolet's when they get stuck!
Now if the Buffalo Herd is thinking correctly, they have pin pointed that the purple Chevy was stuck in their front yard! Boy, do you have some ruts and holes to fill up! If the weather man is correct and we get three or four days without moisture, we are going to be in good shape. I was surprised today how fast it was drying up, except the center and in front of the Buffy Camp. The rest of the area is almost dry, in fact I did not leave any tracks while pulling out the Moose.
Papa Bear called this evening and happened to catch Heath here so they had a visit, talked fishing mostly but then their conversation changed to moving the multi-purpose building. Just hearing one side of the conversation, I think Papa Bear has a little concern in getting the building moved, especially when Moose made the comment that he thought the building would weigh 1,200 pounds! Both of them had panic in their voice when I corrected the Moose, that the building would come in at a much higher weight - perhaps one ton! Hey, my daddy taught me my carpentry skills, I do believe that I am better than he ever was, however, he taught me one cardinal rule in building, he would always say "it is not much for pretty but it is hell for strong".
Recreational area improvements will halt tomorrow, I have to be up at 5:00 a.m. for the start of the derby and be at the tackle shop until 7:00 p.m. to weigh in fish. Then at 7:00 p.m. I have to do a benefit auction in A.P. - although, I will only be a mile from where the auction will be held, I have to drive 18 miles to get there so I am not sure how I am going to be in two places at one time. Surely wish the Plumma was fishing the tournament this year, while waiting for fish to come in for weighing, I have to do a part list for my entire water system. In October and November when I was ill, my entire water system froze up in the pump house and blew out everything. I have to start at the well head and replace everything inside the pump house. I was not able to drain the system, so hopefully the lines inside the tackle shop didn't get damaged. So far,there is no water showing up on the floor but will not know for sure until it is under pressure. It will not happen again, I have fought this system for twenty years. This year it will be done right - just as soon as John gets the time. I can see that my plumbing contractor and I will need to have several "campfire" consultations pertaining to future plans.

This entry was posted on May 12, 2006 at Friday, May 12, 2006 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

3 comments

so I will build me a mote out of the rutts...this should help slow dogs and children down...I have no doubt that the pit will be dry and ready for us soon...it dried up quick after the rain showers last year....hey why did they not lay the deck Erica built on the muddy spot...back the trailor onto it and they have a "platform" to keep them mud free!!!Sorry about the drive...could you not walk??? Would not be the first time you have waded the river at the forks!!

5/13/06, 1:00 AM

oh ya your leg...well mom could pull you up the hill with "Tissy Tissy" you could ride down then all you would have to do is wade across carrying the wagon.

5/13/06, 1:01 AM

Stick that building on skis and ride it down the cliff... if the wagon can make it...?????

5/13/06, 8:29 AM

Post a Comment