Watching Paint Dry  

Posted by Stan Harrington

Under beautiful sunshine, the multi-purpose building was painted today and is now officially completed except for the decorating. The colors did not quite turn out as I had expected, but I can live with it. I hate painting! I hate buying paint! You look at those little chips of the various colors and they always seem to have different types of wood with the product on it so you know what it will look like - right! I have never seen a match up. A gallon of stain will cost you between $20.00 and $30.00, you take it home and it is not the right color. The can is open, there is no returning! Last time, when we were at Home Depot and having to decide which color of stain to buy I came up with a marvelous concept. Why don't the paint companies, can their stain in small half pint or pint cans and charge $5.00 for them. You can buy several, take them home to test them and then go back and buy the several gallons that you are going to need. They make money on the small cans, you get the right color and we are all happy painters!
No sand moved today, Heath was working for Key all day, he is loving that little tractor! I expect to see him show up driving in with a hard hat on! Your mother and Erica did a little more draining, it is starting to look better but let's hold off on any rain. The first load of slabs arrived in the pit today, Erica went over and picked up a load. They were nice enough that she decided to use them to build a deck to help the drainage in their area. She borrowed some nails, a hammer and saw and went to work. Wanting a dry place to work, she decided to build it on the road leading into the campground. She drove in as far as she could go and unloaded the slabs and went to work. I would wander over to the edge once in awhile to check on her progress, she has got this deck laid out that measures at least 20 feet by 20 feet. She is pounding nails and sawing. Later I stop by to check things out on my way to pick up some stuff a the tackle shop. I drive into where she is working and cannot help but notice how big the deck is. So I ask the obvious, how are you going to move it to the site. She was one step ahead of me and said they could tow it with the tractor which sounded feasible. The next question that I had to ask was "How are you going to get your truck out?" She had built the deck behind the truck, blocking off the road and the truck was on the wrong side of the deck! Her answer was classic. "I didn't think about that!" Fun and games have already started and the entire circus has not even come to town. Who was it that spent hours digging a trail up the side of the bluff for one ride down the trail in a wagon, which ended up in a wreck! Who was it that spent hours building a flower bed to beautify their campsite, except it was in the location of where the outhouse was suppose to go? Who was it that planted all the dead trees? Who was it that decided to put the wood pile in the lowest drainage point in the campground? Who was it that designed the outhouse last year? No wonder all the neighbors take vacations during Memorial Day week! which is not a bad idea, I had best check my frequent flier miles!

This entry was posted on May 11, 2006 at Thursday, May 11, 2006 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

9 comments

That is great ... I can't wait to tease Erica.

An you better not put that poop house by my camper. I have the highest and driest spot and do not want to move...Please think of papa bear and the obstacles he will have to face getting to it...and that poor birch tree that has struggled to live in all that sand... and the smell at the camp fire when homer needs to go ...its always right after dinner...and i will puke!

5/11/06, 11:47 PM

ask the paint seller for oops paint. Its the paint they mix up the would be buyers for $30 a gallon don't like. its who cares color at half price.

outhouses should have a view facing away from the tribunal fire. towards the east and kitty korner to the west. makes for easy sitting.

5/12/06, 2:09 AM

lol well now I am even more antsy to get down there...Erica and I kicked ass last year...we had that site up and running...and we did not fight...and we enjoyed doing it...as for the stain...Here in LA you can pick up a half pint can for 2.49 cents at the local craft shop...any color you so chose...but if you go to Home Depot they are suppose to take a wood scrap of yours and show you what the outcome will be...you just have to ask...oh ya at safeway when the cookie dude is stocking cookies...mention you wish you knew what one of them tasted like...he will cut open as many packages of cookies for you to sample as you want...bet the girl scouts wont do this....hehehe...good snack time outing!

5/12/06, 7:19 AM

What an am abundance of useful tips - as for paint and home depot painting a strip of wood for you - not in our Keani Home Depot. The guy looked familar, then we remember where we saw him, he was working in the toy department at Fred Meyers the week before! "Fishtaxi" had some good points pertaining to the multi-purpose building. Can't set it looking east, then you would be looking at the bluffs surrounding the hole in the wall. Has to be looking west so you get advantage of the panormaic view of Cook Inlet and volcanos, makes almost an ideal setting for "sitting and comptemplating". Got to be close to the fire, that way the "little peole" do not have to worry about "Arnie" and the dark. I use to have to take my little sister to the outhouse at night, terrible chore. She had a flashlight, she accidently dropped it down the "hole" one night. Being helpful, I held her by her heels and lowered her down through the hole to retrieve the light, she has never got over that traumatic experieince. Not alot of options in the location but I figured if we put it close to the fire, it would centrally locate all of the smells in one central location in order to confine the "bears" in one area, we don't need a bear in camp and we really do not need Eric running through camp at night in his leather thong and big .44 hogshead. If it does not work out, we can always move it.

5/12/06, 7:43 AM

I just realized and will continue to track it on excell but you can tell a lot by a person from their blog activity. Heidi, like I is a night person. Her posting is at 11:47 p.m., don't know FishTaxi that well yet but I am assuming she can't sleep at night, her posting is at 2:09 a.m. which is a normal time for her. Shana always comes in betweeen 5 and 7 a.m. so she is an early riser. Did any of you realize the Blogspot is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week! They will accept postings at 2:32 p.m. But in reality, it always provides for some great morning reading.

5/12/06, 7:48 AM

FLASH!! just checked the weather forecast, we may have finally got a break! Suppose to be partly cludy to sunny well into late next week, if you want to believe the weather man. Doppler radar show no moisture in trhe AP or LA area at present time. No precipitation forcasted forthe next several days so we may get a good "dry out" yet!

5/12/06, 8:48 AM

WOW with blog spot open twenty four hours a day you would think people could find a chance to blog...I only get up early because I have realized that if I ever want time to myself I either have to stay up late or get up early...late well I am pooped...early allows me to consume a half pot of coffee and get rid of the morning bitchies before the babies wake up...believe me I would rather sleep in till at least 8!!

5/12/06, 11:39 AM

Have you BEEn to the hardware store? I think your small can idea was taken a few years back(50?).
I'm not afraid to move our house in the pit to avoid heidi puking all night!

5/12/06, 10:36 PM

I keep hearing about these small cans of paint, I will fully admit that I am wrong IF anyone can show me a small can (1/2 Pint or Pint) of stain produced by Behr Products. It is a great product, I have used it for years and I have never seen the product produced in any size can other than a quart, gallon or five gallon bucket! There are small cans of "paint", just bought several of them so we could paint "Fred". But, no Behr Stain!

5/12/06, 11:26 PM

Post a Comment