PLUMMER APPRENTICESHIP  

Posted by Stan Harrington

Having recently decided to retire, I realized that I needed something to occupy my time so I decided to become a campground host. The job is great but I do not have any guests to look after so I decided to pursue some other interest to occupy my spare time. I have always admired the quality work that "Plumma" does so I decided to try my hand at plumbing. I activated my water system at the tackle shop yesterday, I knew that my system had froze up during the winter and would have to replace all of the plumbing in my pump house. Armed with my glue and a thousand assorted sizes of fittings and twenty three feet of pipe, I accomplish the task with little effort and only had five leaks to repair but it finally held pressure- not pretty but hell for strong. You know with the right fittings you can actually make a square out of pipe and water will go around it and out the other end. That is my new aerating system - I like a lot of oxygen in my water.
Having the system under pressure, I slowly turned on the main valve leading into the building. I had my very own geyser, I had water shooting up higher than "old Faithful". Shutting down the system, I discover the valve had popped from solder connecting the pipe. At this point, you have to realize that a professional plummer installed this section of the water line. He measured it outside the building, constructed it, stuck it under the building made a couple of quick solders and it was done. Getting brave, I cleaned the connection, heated the pipe and applied the solder, it work but I noticed the other end of the pipe was also wobbling around. Removing the insulation, I discover that it also popped from the connection! This time, laying on my back under the building, holding two pieces of copper pipe together with one hand I solder that connection - it even worked! I was so proud of my handy work - who needs the Plumma! I once again made the trek to the pump house, pressurized the system and trekked back to the main valve. As I slowly turned on the system, I watched my connections, they were both holding under the pressure.
I now think, I may be able to get a cheaper insurance rate since I have a "sprinkler" system installed in my building. The only problem the water is shooting straight down to the ground and not up to extinguished any fire that may occur. There are so many holes in the system. Loosing daylight, I packed up my tools and went home! I could cancel my trip to Anchorage and work on my water system or I could wait for a couple of days and look at it once again with fresh eyes or I can rig a garden hose from the pump house and run it through the window of the shop into the bathroom. So many decisions to make - but I did come up with one final decision - I do not want to become a Plumma Apprentice!

This entry was posted on May 17, 2006 at Wednesday, May 17, 2006 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

8 comments

Don't worry three days and your plumma will be there..but he is on vacation. So it will cost you triple time.

5/17/06, 8:49 AM

Hey, with a a fresh mind and fresh eyes, I have a new outlook! I use to carry water into the house when I was a little boy in buckets. In fact, I was confused as a lad, I did not know if my name was "Go Get Water" or "go Get Wood". I think I need counseling. Triple time, I accept phone calls at home pertaining to fishing, booking charters, news papers calling for fishing reports, etc. - I provide my service free of charge regardless of the time or day - I have no concept of what triple time means!

5/17/06, 9:09 AM

Hmm ...did you know phone time is worth money? When I worked for a non-profit we charged $75 an hour, for Phone consults. Our time was billed in 15 min segments. The state will pay for anything!!

5/17/06, 10:31 PM

father you have tried your hand with power tools...that did not work out for you so well...electricity...obviously something you and your brothers should avoid...so now we add pllumming to your list of trades tries....not working out so well either...but it sounds like your pretty good with sprinkler systems...

5/17/06, 11:53 PM

I would have confidence in the workmanship of a quality apprentice such as yourself - seeing the pumphouse re-plumbed for, about, the 6th time, I would imagine you are close, in hours, to turning out journeyman. This year - PEX!

5/18/06, 6:11 AM

OH! Happy B DAY!

5/18/06, 6:13 AM

Happy Birthday from our family as well! We will see you all out there this weekend!

5/18/06, 3:48 PM

Happy Birthday!

I was an apprentice plumber for Local #367 out of Anchorage for 6 years. Never turned out.

I know where the piss & shit goes!

5/20/06, 10:56 PM

Post a Comment