Memorial Day 2006  

Posted by Stan Harrington

After twenty one years, I had the opportunity to once again sit around a camp fire with my family. It was a sense of reality that I had forgotten. Previously, my Memorial Day Weekend's consisted of brief visits to the campsites between the 18 to 24 hour shifts that we were pulling at the tackle shop with a couple of hours each day devoted to doing a radio program. This year, my total time at the tackle shop was twenty minutes, but I do have to admit that every once in awhile my thoughts would wander to what I was going to do on my next day broadcast before reality took over and reminded me that it was no longer my worry!
After twenty one years, it was the greatest Memorial Day weekend that I have experienced. Anytime a parent can share nine days with their four children and their mates, along with twelve grandchildren and two great grandchildren, it does not get better than that. The first time the entire family was together as a unit, all twenty five of us! Toss in the friends that camped with us or stopped by to enjoy the "fire pit" and a surprise visit by my niece, that is the icing on the cake! I am sure that Brother Don was soaring overhead, enjoying the scene and watched over us. Most likely, laughing at the antics and noticed the tears in my voice and eyes on Sunday evening. He never believed that I was a sensitive new age guy. Although, the "Hole In the Wall" is quiet now, his flag still flutters in the breeze. I will retire it in a few days and bring it home until the next gathering.
For those that read this, but were not on site to witness the reality, I am sure you will hear all the stories in the days that lay ahead. Although, we had some great times, when any family gathers, you are always going to have a few mishaps and accidents. Fortunately, none of them were two serious. We will know more as soon as the Bull Buffalo gets his MRI back. Talk about bad luck, Eric was sitting around the fire pit one evening, it was a clear night with only a few faint stars showing overhead. Shana and Heidi had developed a comedy routine, where they would cue their timing and point to the sky and shout "bird". They had just pointed to the sky and yelled "bird", but it was actually a small meteor streaking across the heavens! We all witnessed it, this little "falling star" streaked downward to earth and it just happened to break the earths atmosphere at the intersection of Eric's head. He was a little dazed and complained of a headache, but I think it was a Coors ache! The following night, the same thing occurred, again the meteor struck Eric in head. Now one time, a person could almost say it was coincidental, but two nights in a row, one has to wonder about divine intervention! The only other mishap occurred when Mama Buffalo smacked "Little Buffalo" up side the face with a cast iron skillet and broke his nose. Personally, I think the Buffalo Clan should have some serious counseling sessions or at a minimum some medical classes on how to treat head wounds!
As the dust settled as the LA convoy moved out of the "Hole In The Wall", Golden Granny and myself, went to work cleaning the area, she wanted to vacuum it but I finally talked her out of that, But she did manage to find three truck loads of garbage to haul to the dumpster, but we also had time to sit by the deserted fire pit, the smell of the wood smoke, and bask in the quietness of the afternoon but the sounds of the children were missing and that is what we noticed the most. Thanks to all for sharing that special time with us. Each of you made it very special and as the Duck House reminds us, "MEMORIES".

This entry was posted on May 30, 2006 at Tuesday, May 30, 2006 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

5 comments

oh ya meant to mention that sign...I think our family portrait needs framed and posted in the Duck House now too...the memories were wonderful and we surrvived any disgruntlements also...a family intact...something I have always loved about us...as for the skillet...once a very wise woman who surrvived raising a bunch of huddlum boys...informed me...after chasing my father from her kitchen with a cast iron pan..."they get to big for a switch to their backside...but they always run like hell from a skillet." I am not sure how old her boys were when her switch changed to a skillet...but by eighteen if he has not figured out..."quit harrassing your mother or she may clobber you with this pan." he deserves a clobbering...sides that he asked me "Whats for dinner?" on Mothers Day...father sitting there at that fire pit with you and mama I was transferred back in time on many occaions...I once again saw the world from the inocent eyes of a child...I have always dreamed of family gathering such as we had in Colorado...and finding that time to share those memories was wonderful...so with Brandy showing up I realized that most at that fire pit had not been a part of those times...Shane, mom, you and I...even Heidi was too young to remember alot of them...it is time to make new ones to replace the old...but at the same time...I spent a lot of hours in a hot car riding from Durrango or Grand Junction to attend those gatherings...maybe we could guilt those cousins of mine that always got the privalege of being at home to come our way real soon....it would be so fun to have a family reunion...doing it up here where Grandma and Grandpa spent a good portion of their lives also...your a good planner...figure it out...Dave, Steve, Dalene, Diane, Dee-Dee, Donny, Deanna, Jesse, Mike, Dort and Cliff may not be able to do it that would be sad...but to have all the cousins again in one spot...to not be the baby anymore...now that would be sooo cool!!! Bet Uncle Don would smile on us lots, and possibly quit beaming my husband in the head with meteors.

5/31/06, 9:01 AM

I had a blast. It was so nice to see you kicked back and playing. I would like to thank you for all the goodies you packed in our clothing. If you use the rock to crack open the tuna and canned fruit it makes a nice lunch....

but shana, I worry...Dad's family is huge we would be feeding 100's.

5/31/06, 10:10 PM

Thank you so much for a wonderful weekend...i can't wait till next year.

6/1/06, 10:19 PM

Sounds wonderful. I was thinking of you guys when the weather was so good and I was out by a fire.

6/1/06, 11:11 PM

It WAS a good time! I am, just now, losing the red undertones in my tan, and LA is a better place (as long as I keep my smart-ass-camp-mouth to myself when the boss is speaking).

6/3/06, 7:22 AM

Post a Comment