Family History Lesson  

Posted by Stan Harrington

The picture that was featured in Hyperbole Trivial Pursuit VIII was a picture of your grandfather, Henry Laverne "Vern" Harrington. The picture was taken when he was six months old. The picture was made into an actual postcard, the only writing on the card was his name and age, but in very elegant writing. I would suspect that it was your great grandmothers writing. He was born on August 13, 1912 in Benedict, Nebraska. His father was Henry Philo "Ten" Harrington and his mother was Ella Belle Baker Harrington. They were your great grandparents and were married on February 8, 1911. I have made several attempts to find out why my grandfather had the nickname of "Ten", I was not aware of it until after my parents passed away. To date, I have found no one that knows why he had that particular nickname. Your great grandfather Henry Philo Harrington was also born in Benedict, Nebraska on April 24, 1874 and passed away on June 16, 1944. Your great grandmother, Ella Belle Harrington was also born in Benedict, Nebraska on June 2, 1885 and passed away on June 30, 1939. My father was the oldest in the family, having two bothers and two sisters (Esther, Virginia, Rolland (passed away at the age of 5) and Ronald) none of which are now surviving. The double barrel Parker Brothers shotgun that my father gave to me prior to his passing belonged to his father, Henry Philo Harrington. Your grandfather passed away in Montrose, Colorado on September 9, 1990. By coincidence, your great grandmothers each shared the same first name, Ella. Some day, I may be able to document all of the information that I have gathered, until such time I would suggest that you clip and print because I assure you that there will come a time in your life, you will seek this same information pertaining to your "roots".

This entry was posted on March 22, 2006 at Wednesday, March 22, 2006 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

5 comments

I am still working on my 'roots'

3/22/06, 10:53 PM

Wow thanks for the lessons...I knew when I wokrd with old people that I wanted to find out more about my own grand parent linage....but with all of them gone from this world I figured I would never know...as for the nick name "ten"....philo means "ten" in latin...dont know if that will help solve the mystery though.

3/23/06, 6:26 AM

that makes sense...

3/23/06, 5:25 PM

haha shana was wrong PHILO is not ten...great BS though.

3/23/06, 8:19 PM

Phhilo is not latin either hahaha...change fact into bullshit and my family goes for it...where did we learn that from????hmmmm...Heidi if you want to find out the meaning of grandfathers name before Dad.....do a search on the name "philo" you will come up with about twenty Greek and Latin Philosophers these fine men are the basic ground network of the medical industry as it should be not as it is.....their great minds put into writing the things later scholars like Luis Pasture were able to test...had technology provided the means back in the days of Plato...we would be a hundred years further ahead in our medical fields...and other sciences...

3/24/06, 7:27 AM

Post a Comment