Good Day  

Posted by Stan Harrington

What a beautiful day, not a cloud in the sky, sun is up but still not a lot of warmth in it. Checked out my favorite radar site this morning, looks like those of you in the Anchorage bowl are also having similar weather. Several thoughts came to my mind this morning, the first being where is a plumber when you need one? Decided, to "dink" around with my water system yesterday, drain, replace filters and clean the hot water tank. I knew better than "dinking" with something I should not, all I had to do was wait until spring when my favorite plumber was available. But, my male ego got the best of me and besides, if my favorite plumber can do it, surely a trained monkey could also accomplish this simple task. The first problem occurred when I tried to use a pair of pliers to undo a copper fitting, copper pipe bends so easily and when it bends, it also breaks. I also learned quickly that water will always go to the lowest point, well I discovered quite quickly how fast a crawl space will fill with water from just a little one inch copper pipe. As we speak, I can still hear the sump pump that I had to rush to town and purchase pumping out the crawl space. Dutch loved it, thought he had an indoor retrieving pond. Draining the hot water heater was simple enough, but no one told me that you are suppose to shut off the power before you drain it, or you will burn out the heating elements when you drain the water. It only took $149.89 to repair that mistake. I did manage to clean it out, but again, as we speak my good wife is on her hands and knees mopping up water in the kitchen and utility room. We were able to rent a water extractor from the rental store in Homer and she has most of the living room carpet drying. Evidently, someone forgot to insure that the pressure valve was securely set and during the night, it decided to relive itself of all water pressure. All night long, I thought I was dreaming because I could hear "Dutch" playing in the water, what a surprise to find when I went into the kitchen to start the coffee. Good thing the bedroom is on the upper floor. The "little lady" was not real happy with me, she very seldom shows real anger but when I mentioned that the positive side of things was that our floors would be real clean, I saw the glimpse of anger in her eyes, just before a jar of peanut butter went flying past my ear. She is calling me to come get "Dutch" because he keeps bringing his training dummy to throw in in his little pond, don't want to let him interfere in her work, so I had best go take care of him so she can finish up the clean up. I have a busy schedule today, I want to clean the heating system. Take care and have a great day.

This entry was posted on March 9, 2006 at Thursday, March 09, 2006 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

5 comments

LOL...you tried....A dunk should not dink....I think i heard that from you...

...dinking should be left to the professional.... If you dink when you should not dink, usually the dink becomes a dunk .... "do not dink unless you want to pay the price."

I bet John appericiates your dunking even if mom does not.

3/9/06, 1:37 PM

yes. much laughs had. thanks

3/9/06, 10:30 PM

LOL I can so imagine moms house seeping water...man you would so be in the dog house...I remember a water fight we had as kids in anchorage...I do not remember the exact words that came out of moms mouth when she arrived home to find the contents of her kitchen spread through out the neighborhood in a trail of condiments...but I be all the other moms were saying the same thing...and I do remember avoiding her for a week...she was more than mad she was pisssed offf. DONT PISS OFF SHORT PEOPLE. they have ego complexs that are worse than a Nuclear bomb....I dont envy you having to live with her now...she will hold this over your head forever...and why are you not mopping up your own mess?

3/10/06, 7:20 AM

I am the "dinker", cleaning up the mess of a "dinker" is the job of a "dunker" or the womman of the house!

3/10/06, 9:06 AM

Wow...."the woman of the house" the dunker? I fix the appliances, I help remodel/fix the house....men and women are equal in "dinking" capabilities.

3/10/06, 10:03 AM

Post a Comment