Weekly Review  

Posted by Stan Harrington

As I set here, the laughter and shrill screams of children can be heard outside my window as they sled down the snow berms surrounding our home. Only in Alaska can you sled in the spring. I am surprised that "Butch" has not yet discovered the slopes going into "Hole In The Wall". As they play in the snow, it has given me the opportunity to review several randomly selected blog sites that I have visited this week. Although, I do not profess to be an credited blog critic, I do enjoy logical and thoughtful exchange of ideas and opinions balanced with respect for literary significance, relevance, and mentally stimulating. Unfortunately, in those sites that I have reviewed I was not able to find any of these qualities. Although, one particular site was well balanced, superbly written and provided the reader with thought provoking historical information. Unfortunately those individuals that responded to this site in the comment section failed to appreciate nor comprehend the importance that the author was penning. Comments posted were inconsistent, inadequate and did not take advantage of the quality of this site. Consequently, the remaining sites that I visited lacked thought provoking concepts and was filled with trivial prattle. Comparing those sites, I found the leading conversation to be focused on ladies under garments, in particular the bra. Although, some reference were made to ladies undershorts in the comments sections. The "Bra" was the number one topic conversation this week based on my random sampling. The second most discussed topic was Girl Scout cookies, a topic that could be discussed at the entrance to any store during this time of the year. The third most discussed item was "spring", although this occasion occurs once a year it was felt by those on these sites that it should be discussed in greater detail than merely looking at a calendar and say "gee, today is the first day of spring". One particular site that I visited consumed a vast number of bytes to post pictures of "coffee beans and birds", although "cute" I could see no relevant reason for posting them since each of the pictures were not interpreted correctly by themselves nor the person who supposedly guessed the correct answer to the trivial question. With the exception of the first site that I referred to, based on my review I found that the remaining sites provided no social, educational, or economic value whatsoever. Perhaps, a second review of these sites this next week will provide me with a better outlook as to their validity.

This entry was posted on March 25, 2006 at Saturday, March 25, 2006 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

22 comments

Hey thats my blog....the god one about bra's and girl scout cookies!!!

3/25/06, 11:51 PM

that is supposed to be "Good" not god...oops

3/25/06, 11:52 PM

hahaha...two comments...and i still said nothing relevant.

3/25/06, 11:52 PM

just prattle

3/25/06, 11:52 PM

i love the fact you don't have word verification.

3/25/06, 11:53 PM

hey check it out Heidi has diareah of the key board....

3/26/06, 4:38 AM

Sad that I so cherrish your opion and would believe ANYTHING you told me...
So pops...what did come first...
the chicken or the egg?

3/26/06, 5:13 AM

Heidi is so right...word verification takes the fun out of this....

3/26/06, 5:13 AM

So father while I am asking these questions...am I old enough to talk about sex yet...?

3/26/06, 5:14 AM

hehe...this is fun

3/26/06, 5:14 AM

that brings me to another question...the egg...why would humpty dumpty quit counting at ten? Maybe he should learn to walk like a blue footed boody....

3/26/06, 5:15 AM

being an insomniac has some merrits...

3/26/06, 5:16 AM

so when reviewing blogs do you eat pop corn or jelly beans?

3/26/06, 5:16 AM

Is butch sledding in the front or the back?

3/26/06, 5:16 AM

I hope Dutch is playing too...he so loves the kids...and gets rather lonley when your "napping".

3/26/06, 5:17 AM

Overview: The coffee plant is a woody perennial evergreen dicotyledon that belongs to the Rubiaceae family. It has a main vertical trunk (orthotropic) and primary, secondary, and tertiary horizontal branches (plagiotropic). Two main species of coffee are cultivated today. Coffea arabica known as Arabica coffee accounts for 75-80% of the world's production. Coffea canephora, known as Robusta coffee, is more robust than the Arabica plants, but produces an inferior tasting beverage with a higher caffeine content. The coffee plant can grow to heights of 10 meters if not pruned, but producing countries will maintain the coffee at a height reasonable for easy harvesting. see picture at...

http://www.coffeeresearch.org/agriculture/coffeeplant.htm

3/26/06, 5:20 AM

Cocoa Pods

Cocoa trees begin to produce their first fruit at three to five years of age. Cocoa trees produce football-shaped pods that contain the seeds that will become cocoa beans. A shade-grown cocoa tree can produce fruit for 75 to 100 years or more.
Cocoa Flowers

Tiny, intricate pink or whitish flowers grow along the trunk and main branches of the cocoa tree. These flowers must be pollinated before the tree can produce the pods that contain the seeds, or cocoa beans. Tiny flies are the main natural pollinators, but less than five percent of the flowers get pollinated. The cocoa farmer can also pollinate the flowers by hand.
see pictures at....
http://www.cocoatree.org/thecocoatree/fruitofthecocoatree.asp

3/26/06, 5:24 AM

well father...I am going to sleep now...wish you still read me bed time stories...I would probably fall right off to sleep if you did...

3/26/06, 5:26 AM

remember....Good Night, sleep tight, dont let the bed bugs bite.

3/26/06, 5:26 AM

Wow, I can't not believe the number of hits this posting got - now I also know why my counter is going crazy! All these hits prove my point, when you script something that is relevant, the communication dialogue is opened up and generates comments. I do appreciate your interest in my un-biased assessment of a variety of sites. Thank You very much. P.S. There will be a future article pertaining to "word verification"!

3/26/06, 9:36 AM

Well i'd have to say those of you with all the time on your hands to get relevent posts out there....MAYBE you should lay off the Bon Bon's!!!

3/26/06, 1:54 PM

Excuse meeee...some of us dont eat bon bons...they give me a belly ache...as for time on my hands...I have to stay up all night just to blog....no other time...

3/27/06, 6:03 AM

Post a Comment