Family Memorial  

Posted by Stan Harrington

To my immediate family, just wanted to let you know that the Harrington family in Colorado is planning to established a memorial at the Mountain Ute Indian Museum in Montrose. This plan was discussed while I was in Colorado and has been approved by the museum. The memorial site will be in the form of landscaping and consist of one (1) large Colorado Blue Spruce surrounded by ten (10) clumps of Aspen Trees. A plaque will be at the site, with the names of your grandfather, grandmother, Uncle Tad and Uncle Don. Larry is coordinating the project, assisted by Mike, Jess, Donna and other family members. Although, they had not taken it into consideration when they designed the project, it should be noted that the number of Aspen Tree clumps that will be planted, including mom and dad, there was a total of ten of us in the family. Today, I am mailing the Alaskan Harrington contribution to the project since they are nearing the planting season in Colorado. Please forgive me, but I could not pass up this Golden Opportunity to revenge my honor in relation to the "Bra Caper" that I endured during my recent visit to Colorado. Our contribution was transmitted in the form of silver. I had an excessive amount of fifty cent pieces and Susan B. Anthony Dollars. Not wanting any of them to get lost in the transit, I neatly placed each silver coin on a strip of clear plastic packaging tape. To further insure the security, I then put a second strip on the opposite side so the two tapes would be surely bound together with the coins sandwiched. When you lay a line of $170.00 in fifty cent pieces one inch apart, you have a long string of coins, then when you add an additional $30.00 in one dollar coins spaced two inches apart, the strip is quite long! So you do not have to do the math, that is 370 coins! By coincidence, the two nieces that were involved in the "Bra Caper" work at the same bank. I suggested to your Uncle Larry that he take them to their bank for deposit still incased in the tape. I know, I should have not done it - but I think your Uncle Don would have appreciated it! He made me do it! Now, I just have to face the postage cost of shipping the package! What should not be forgotten, is the next time that you or your children visit Montrose, you will have one place to go to pay your respect to those we loved, they are "roots" to be proud of. My best to all.

This entry was posted on March 4, 2006 at Saturday, March 04, 2006 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

5 comments

Anonymous  

It touches my heart and soul to know I have somewhere I can go to honor some of the greatest people GOD gifted me in my life. At the same time it saddens me to think I may NEVER go back to Montrose...Colorado was my home for years...even after we left I missed it something horrible...the majastic mountains that seem to be every where, the endless lands between Grand Junction and Montrose...the beautifull green valley of Durango....these places are safe places in my dreams...the ones I run off to when my reality is to much. So I guess I never got Colorado out of my system...will forever miss her but now I cant see any real chances of returning....oh maybe someday I will have the money to just go....but I am sure if we went on a vacation Colorado would not be on the kids top ten list........but it's number two on mine....right behind Vagas.

3/5/06, 6:03 AM

Hey the comments work much better on this lay-out....Whew....I have tried several times...here's the jist...

Cool idea with the trees. The School is planting one for Chelsea, i am going to see if I can't get my/her Troop to plant 11 small plants around it.

What a pain in the butt you are...You will have to keep us informed on how they get you back for the coins.

3/5/06, 10:53 PM

Ooops...I was adjusting your lay-out I must have still been signed on as you... :)

3/5/06, 10:55 PM

OOPS...It was me writting that last stan comment...

3/5/06, 10:56 PM

Good job Heidi, you had allof us confused. Will the real Stan Harrington please step forward! Nice layout, you are so talented, I really apreciate all the time that you put into it, even at 1:00 a.m. in the morning, didn't think your old dad would catch you did you? Remember, "no one in, no one out", fathers never sleep. Thanks.

3/5/06, 11:20 PM

Post a Comment