First Day Of Spring  

Posted by Stan Harrington

Spring has arrived in Alaska. Looking out my window on this first day of spring, I see the tops of my miniature rose bushes just peeking out from the blanket of three feet of snow. We lost sight of the fence posts around the lawn following my last snow plowing and from the pictures that I took yesterday of the campers in the "Hole In the Wall" you will have to agree that it will be awhile before we enjoy spring. I will have to concede whoever developed the philosophy that spring comes to Alaska on March 20th needs to re-consider the lunar and solar alignment, he / she got this one all wrong!
As we learned last year after the error of digging the hole for the outhouse, that water and sand will flow down hill. As soon as I can get into the campground, I will tie the campers off to the trees to insure that they are securely anchored. The water level should be high enough that they will end up in the campgrounds within the state parks - at least you will have the first campers in the recreational area and your carpets will be washed. It is going to be ugly but since Heath and Shane each have a boat, we should still be able to use the area on opening weekend. All of you get outside today, shovel your sidewalks and enjoy this first day of this new season.

This entry was posted on March 20, 2006 at Monday, March 20, 2006 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

2 comments

If the knees give out on the 'ol camperooni, fish out the salvageable canned goods and throw it a match.

3/20/06, 10:31 PM

I must aree that someone needs an astrology lesson on Alaskan spring...firs day of spring and it snowed at least 12 inches...but I am noticing that the snow is warmer...that makes no sense but as it hit the ground the slush puddles got bigger and the driveway soggier...

3/21/06, 5:53 AM

Post a Comment