"Guess" Who  

Posted by Stan Harrington



We have seen pictures of everyone else in the family with a horse, so I thought you might enjoy these as well. This was the summer that Shane and Shana were ages five and four. This is probably one of the best jokes that your Uncle Don played on me, we were living in Durango at the time so he drove the 220 mile round trip from Montrose to visit us. He was driving a pick-up with a cab high camper shell. After visiting for a bit, he told Shane and Shana that if they could "guess" what he had in the truck, they could have it. They had a variety of guesses, but never came up with the correct answer. Giving in, he told them if they would come out to the truck he would give them their surprise. I do not know who was the most surprised, Terry, I or the kids when he opened the camper door and there stood a horse, a saddle, blanket and bridle. One of the kids asked their Uncle "what is his name", he replied "Guess" consequently the pony became known as "Guess"!

No parent in the world can say "no" in a situation like that, especially to Uncle Don! So, we had our first and only horse. Although, the kids always referred to "Guess" in the male gender, the pony was actually a little filly. The kids loved the pony and there are a lot of stories they hold between themselves that their mother nor I ever knew until later years. Like Shane standing on the top rail of the fence, waiting for "Guess" to walk by and then he would jump on his back. The relationship between the pony and Terry quickly became a love / hate relationship, every time Terry would go to feed or water her, "Guess" would chase her.

From the time that Don gave the pony to the kids, anytime there was a gathering of the family, Brother Don would always have to tell the story about getting the best of me by giving the kids the pony.

So keeping this in mind, how could any parent object if a kindly old grandfather showed up with a camper load of baby goats or pigs to give to his grandchildren?

This entry was posted on April 24, 2006 at Monday, April 24, 2006 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

8 comments

I have a friend with a roasting rotissery designed to turn the whole pig - as far as goats, I'm sure we have some Indian restaurants that would pay per lb....

4/25/06, 5:24 AM

just dont bring chickens!!!!
I sure loved that pony. I cried for a long time when we had to get rid of her. She loved to eat the apples from the tree that I was forbidden to feed her from...but more than the apples she LOVED to eat the fresh growth twigs off of that tree....Shanes little stunt landed him in the water trough and a "log" floated up when he crapped his pants. He threatened me that if I ever told he would kill me. Think he realy meant that? If so forget I said the first part k? I remember this day clearly...it was the first time HE did something stupid and I had the chance to tease him...but being the nice sister I am...I ran for mom screaming "Shanes drowning!!" Seems he was always "dying" somehow. since I am confessing past sins I will also admit that Shane can not fly. I convinced him once in his life that he could...but when he hit the ground with his Superman Cape wrapped around him in an undignigied fashion and his arm twisted at a funky angle...I realized NOPE HE CAN NOT FLY.........for an older brother he sure was dumb!!! LOL

4/25/06, 6:11 AM

No goats...NO pigs...No chickens... We want a COW!!!

4/25/06, 8:49 AM

sounds like you and guess have a lot of things in common stan.

4/25/06, 9:33 PM

you asked for it now he is here and he is not my responsibility!!!

4/25/06, 10:31 PM

You must be out buying goats.

4/26/06, 8:20 AM

did you have to go to China for the goats?

4/26/06, 12:48 PM

WHy china ??? do they even have goats in china?

4/28/06, 7:50 AM

Post a Comment