"Spring Birthday Party"  

Posted by Stan Harrington

Spring is finally here, despite the snow that still blankets the majority of the area. Tonight, we were the first to utilize the Anchor River State Recreational Area for this season. We had Hunter's 5th Birthday party across the road from the tackle shop, a great fire, good food, and a bunch of kids! Hunter is so fun to watch, with all those kids playing together, Hunter was off on his own, having a great time. He prefers to be by himself, just him and his imagination. In watching him over the past year, I have noticed that he has a great imagination and reminds me a lot of another little boy many years ago. He actually plays cowboys!
The other day, while working on the "multi-purpose" building, he came out and was playing with some of the small pieces of wood. I watched him for a bit and ask him what he was building, his reply was "a boat". I got him a hammer and a few nails, he pounded on them but not enough to dent the board. So I offered to help, we built the first boat, then grandma helped him build a second boat. Taking his two boats, he headed for the house to paint them. A few minutes later he returned, because he needed another boat while the other two boats dried. This time, we used the saw and cut out the hull and nailed enough stud 2/4's two it to make it look like a super tanker. Again, he took off for the house only to return a few minutes later needing another piece of wood and some nails. He had his hands full as he headed to the house, I followed to get myself a cup of coffee. He did not realize I was behind him, when he got to the deck, he dropped a piece of wood, then while trying to pick up the wood he dropped the nails, the next thing I heard was "God Damm It", I know I should not have but I could not stop laughing as I helped him pick up his nails and wood.
Except for the custom built door, the exterior of the "multi-purpose" building is now completed and I am ready to move inside. Having only a hammer, some bent nails, a 12" ruler and a dull hack saw as tools, it really did not turn out that bad and should work for it's intended purpose. Shane looked at it today after reading our meter, he did not say anything but I could see it in his body language as he was thinking "and we are going to have to move this building", it really should not be that bad especially if we can find a boom truck. It has to be in place and ready for occupants in less than a month. I have started scouting out a location, but only with my binoculars from the bluff, the water is to deep in the lake. Heidi's flower bed is high and dry, that looks like the best location and will be very convenient to the fire pit, Homer won't have to walk so far. The other location that looks good is the Buffalo Clan camping spot, it has not flooded yet, no mud slides and it appears that the trees that were planted are dead as they have no leaves on them. The Bear Clan spot is out of the question, since the trailer has already washed away in the spring floods. There is that one little gully over by the Moose Clan campsite, but that is quite a distance for the little girls to walk at night, especially with Arnie still hanging around. It really looks like the flower bed next to the Wolf Clan is the moist likely spot. There is no way that we will ever get this building into the original site without clear cutting the alders, although it would be easier digging for you guys. Thoughts to ponder.

This entry was posted on April 26, 2006 at Wednesday, April 26, 2006 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

3 comments

Why did you not build it on skis...then we could just slide it down the bluff...where it stops is where we dig!! Should land fairly close to my camp site unless we drag it to the back first then it would land in the alders where we want it right? Either way the out house will be close by and I wont have to worry about Arney!! Hey pops guess you forgot about the meditation dude tomorrow night...wanna bet Heidi chickens out too???

4/27/06, 12:53 AM

Shana - I am not chickening out ... I will be there!!! If you pick me up.

Dad - there will be NO poop pit in my flowerbed!! I worked hard to get those plants to live in the sand. Also..i have great ventalation in my cabin and do not want to smell it!!! I vote we place it in Mooses back yard!

4/27/06, 8:07 AM

The mooses back yard seems like an adequite location since the stink will not bother them... Could just build little caster dollies for each corner and pull it down the road behind a truck? With some sort of a temp. hitch mechanism of course.

4/27/06, 9:10 PM

Post a Comment